Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
How do you know it was rotating at all?
Because of how widespread the debris is. The galley is to the Portside, the Forward tower hull section is closer to the bow, the Aft tower is infront of the Bow. I know for sure the current didn't move huge pieces of the ship like that!
(Nearly) Everything on the Starboard side of the Stern was ejected, so that's an exception.
And, the twist to starboard the Stern has
1608729150990.png

Jim Currie

Apr 16, 2008
NewtonMearns, Glasgow, Scotland.
Because of how widespread the debris is. The galley is to the Portside, the Forward tower hull section is closer to the bow, the Aft tower is infront of the Bow. I know for sure the current didn't move huge pieces of the ship like that!
(Nearly) Everything on the Starboard side of the Stern was ejected, so that's an exception.
And, the twist to starboard the Stern has
View attachment 74835
Here's some fun for you, Cam.
Fun for Cam.jpg

Jim Currie

Apr 16, 2008
Thanks Jim!
wait
How did the Bow do a 180 degree turn??
And that still doesn't explain the broken keel and twist. (the Twist is centered on the Aft Second Class staircase entrance on B-Deck)
Cam, the bow is heading roughtly in the direction of NE x N...that is an alteration of about 135 degrees from the original direction of 265 True.
It i also suggests that if , as claimed, Titanic was heading NNW 1/2 W when she sank., her bow direction altered direction by about 60 degrees to the right after she sank. This supports my suggestion that the bow sheered to the right as it went down... nomater what the original heading was on the surface.
As for the keel damage? I need to see that to form an diffinitive opinion.
However, if a section of ship's double bottom directly below boiler room One detached as it seems to have done, then there will be keel fractiures and disfigurement on both main sections of keel where the detatchment took place. i.e. fore end of the stern and aft end of the bow sections. The cause of these would be an extreme bending and twisting stresses imposed in the the relevant area of double bottom acting as a hinge... i.e.... bending and twisting to the right,

Jim Currie

Apr 16, 2008
the v-break has been thoroughly disproven, as the bow would’ve had no buoyancy to lift it no matter what.
The hull failure was due to the hull being unevenly supported longitudinally and the bending moment at the water -air interface being unequal and at the weakest point in the structure. Nothing whatsover to do with bow "lift".

Reactions: 1 user

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
The hull failure was due to the hull being unevenly supported longitudinally and the bending moment at the water -air interface being unequal and at the weakest point in the structure. Nothing whatsover to do with bow "lift".
Merry Christmas (eve) Jim!

Cam, the bow is heading roughtly in the direction of NE x N...that is an alteration of about 135 degrees from the original direction of 265 True.
It i also suggests that if , as claimed, Titanic was heading NNW 1/2 W when she sank., her bow direction altered direction by about 60 degrees to the right after she sank. This supports my suggestion that the bow sheered to the right as it went down... nomater what the original heading was on the surface.
As for the keel damage? I need to see that to form an diffinitive opinion.
However, if a section of ship's double bottom directly below boiler room One detached as it seems to have done, then there will be keel fractiures and disfigurement on both main sections of keel where the detatchment took place. i.e. fore end of the stern and aft end of the bow sections. The cause of these would be an extreme bending and twisting stresses imposed in the the relevant area of double bottom acting as a hinge... i.e.... bending and twisting to the right,
Have you visited Mr. Roy Mengot's excellent website?
The Wreck of RMS Titanic that is where you'll find the evidence
I mean, I agree that the Bow might've gone to the right slightly, but to say it executed a 180 degree turn is nuts!

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
I got to thinking today

Edward Wilding calculated that at an angle of more than 33 degrees, the Boilers (and I think the Engines).

if the Stern did actually go vertical, or at least did the "Joughin manuever" as I call it, how are the boilers still intact, which we know is the case because of the No. 2 Boilers. And if the stern went vertical in the first 300-500 feet, and corkscrewed, then how are the 2 aft-most Engines still there on the stern?

I still support these sinking versions, but how?

Nov 14, 2005
I got to thinking today

Edward Wilding calculated that at an angle of more than 33 degrees, the Boilers (and I think the Engines).

if the Stern did actually go vertical, or at least did the "Joughin manuever" as I call it, how are the boilers still intact, which we know is the case because of the No. 2 Boilers. And if the stern went vertical in the first 300-500 feet, and corkscrewed, then how are the 2 aft-most Engines still there on the stern?

I still support these sinking versions, but how?
Bolts. Probably no more complicated than that. Some held others didn't. Plus some stuff simply got hung up on other stuff.
Off topic comment...I don't know if anyone here works on stuff but if you do and something calls for a certain grade of bolt make sure you are getting what you need and pay for. Especially with grade 8 bolts. Lots of sub standard counterfeits being sold out there now a days. Could be a safety issue in some cases. Cheers.

Reactions: 1 users

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
Off topic comment...I don't know if anyone here works on stuff but if you do and something calls for a certain grade of bolt make sure you are getting what you need and pay for. Especially with grade 8 bolts. Lots of sub standard counterfeits being sold out there now a days. Could be a safety issue in some cases. Cheers.
Thanks Steven!
we should have an entire bolt thread just for you LOL

Nov 14, 2005
Thanks Steven!
we should have an entire bolt thread just for you LOL
No that wouldn't be necessary or site appropriate but thanks for the endorsement :p. I mentioned that because your thread made me think of it. It has become an issue among the gearhead crowd. Actually been around awhile but seems to be getting worse. At least I've talked to more people lately that have run into it. But back to Titanic. I guess it's a good thing that some of the boilers and other equipment did fall out as it certainly aided Mr. Ballard in finding the wreck. Cheers.

• Haha

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
No that wouldn't be necessary or site appropriate but thanks for the endorsement :p. I mentioned that because your thread made me think of it. It has become an issue among the gearhead crowd. Actually been around awhile but seems to be getting worse. At least I've talked to more people lately that have run into it. But back to Titanic. I guess it's a good thing that some of the boilers and other equipment did fall out as it certainly aided Mr. Ballard in finding the wreck. Cheers.
Agreed Steven!

You were an engineer, right?

Nov 14, 2005
Agreed Steven!

You were an engineer, right?
Nope just a technician. But where I spent my career we had no process control engineers so we had to do all that ourselves. It was a good learning experience and it paid off for the techs who wanted to continue working when they shut us down. They were hired on the spot by other company's without even being interviewed. The industry knew us.

WentHulk

Apr 18, 2017
William Lange's theory about Titanic not breaking up at the surface doesn't make much sense. Due to the evidence of the spinning of the stern section, and the darkness of the night and the idea that the debris field is relatively small.

Kyle Naber

Oct 5, 2016
William Lange's theory about Titanic not breaking up at the surface doesn't make much sense. Due to the evidence of the spinning of the stern section, and the darkness of the night and the idea that the debris field is relatively small.

The theory is definitely invalidating to survivors who saw the breakup conspire- ESPECIALLY due to the fact that the ship is on the ocean floor in multiple pieces. It takes some real mental gymnastics to justify an underwater break.