How to Add 2000 more Gross Tons to Britannic

Nov 5, 2006
I was doing some research abou

I was doing some research about Homeric, my all time favorite liner after the Olympic Class, and I came upon this:

"The name ‘Homeric’ was certainly no coincidence. The White Star Line had planned to expand the Olympic-class trio into a quartet with a 50,000-ton Homeric. Originally the intended name for that vessel had been ‘Germanic’, but as irritation grew between Britain and Germany, ‘Homeric’ was chosen instead."

And yes, I know that I recently found out that Homeric WOULDN'T have been a 50,000 tonner, but this brings up a question: How would you add 2,000 more tons to a "Britannic" style design? Completely enclose the lower promenade? Add another set of Girder davits? Enclose MORE of the A-Deck Promenade? Please help.

T

Timothy Trower

Gabriel,

Just wondering if

Gabriel,

Just wondering if you would cite the source used in your above quote. There wouldn't have been a need for another Olympic-class vessel for the Southampton-New York trade, although there certainly was discussion of a smaller 33,000 replacement known as the Germanic/Homeric, followed by the Ceric. Neither of these ships were built, although recent research has indicated that the Ceric may well be the ship whose general arrangement the THS sells as the Titanic II of January, 1926.

Nov 5, 2006
The quote was from http://www.greatoceanliners.net/ 's Homeric Page. Also, I was looking into it, and you're right...

"Your Directors have authorized the construction of a steamer of about 33,600 tons and 19 knots speed for the New York-Liverpool service of the White Star Line, to be named "Germanic," and to be of the "Adriatic" type, with such alterations and improvements as experience has suggested and as are made possible by her greater size. It is expected the "Germanic" will be completed in time to enter the service in 1916, and that she will be an exceedingly attractive steamer."

This neat piece of info was posted by Mark Barber. The real question is... how can you modify the Celtic/Adriatic Class to be 33,600 tons? Would she have had 3 or 4 funnels and only two masts Versus Adriatic's 2 funnels and four masts? I plan to draw up blueprints of what Germanic II/Homeric would have looked like based on this info, and your interperatation...Just curious...

T

Timothy Trower

Gabriel,

My guess would be

Gabriel,

My guess would be that, given the times, more funnels would still have been considered better, and given the size of the ship you probably would have had three funnels. The size of the big four increased by over 4,000 tons from the Celtic II to the Adriatic II, so, with a lengthening of the ship, and extra deck or two and some extra girth, you could add another 9,000 tons pretty easily.

The Titanic was 1,004 tons larger than her older sister, and this was accomplished primarily through enclosing some windows and adding a couple of suites!

One other thought on the funnels -- as late as 1926, the plans for what is called the Titanic II is shown with four funnels -- so clearly either Harland & Wolff or the White Star Line or both still thought there was a need for the extra one(s).