How to convey emergency to passengers

Sarah S

Sarah S

Hello everyone,

while rewatching Titanic I wondered about how „emergency“ was conveyed to the passengers.
In the movie we can see Lightoller making some sort of „announcement“ to the bystanding people to let women and children step forward into the boats, which seemed to have been followed calmly by women stepping forward.
We already know there was generally hesitation at first from the women to leave the ship. What could the crew and officers have said or done to make more people enter the lifeboats faster? What would have happened if they just made it clearer that the ship was in danger, or even that the ship was sinking?
What is the most ideal way to convey a life-death situation to hundreds of passengers to avoid big losses of life?

Thank you

William Oakes

William Oakes

Forget the movie, the true sinking was handled without a major panic until near the very end, which was inevitable.
Many lives were tragically lost but, many more would have been lost if a mass panic broke out from the beginning.
I give Captain Smith and his officers A+ grades for minimizing the panic.

Reactions: Michael H. Standart
Sarah S

Sarah S

No doubt the officers did all they could to save as many lives as possible, and we of course need to consider that most crew members and officers themselves never knew the gravity of the situation until it became obvious that the ship was doomed- yet I wonder if there are more effective ways to evacuate as many people as possible without causing a mass panic. What could have been said and done to convince more passengers into lifeboats without causing confusion or anxiety, from early on? Isn’t there like a handbook for such situations?

William Oakes

William Oakes

No doubt the officers did all they could to save as many lives as possible, and we of course need to consider that most crew members and officers themselves never knew the gravity of the situation until it became obvious that the ship was doomed- yet I wonder if there are more effective ways to evacuate as many people as possible without causing a mass panic. What could have been said and done to convince more passengers into lifeboats without causing confusion or anxiety, from early on? Isn’t there like a handbook for such situations?
How do you write a handbook for the unthinkable?

Sarah S

Sarah S

How do you write a handbook for the unthinkable?

A ship sinking isn’t necessarily an unthinkable thing though..I assume part of their education for crew members is to learn how to evacuate passengers in an emergency situation, what to say and what not etc.

Reactions: William Oakes
William Oakes

William Oakes

A ship sinking isn’t necessarily an unthinkable thing though..I assume part of their education for crew members is to learn how to evacuate passengers in an emergency situation, what to say and what not etc.
And they did that.

William Oakes

William Oakes

considering the big loss of life, the question remains if something could have been said in more effective ways to convince passengers into the boats from early on
What would you have said?

Sarah S

Sarah S

What would you have said?

that’s the question I’ve asked. But if you can’t answer this either that’s alright..
It’s a general question what the most proper way is to safe people without causing a mass panic, but to also avoid big losses of life

Michael H. Standart

Michael H. Standart

while rewatching Titanic I wondered about how „emergency“ was conveyed to the passengers.

In the REAL world, it kinda wasn't. Get them up, have them put their lifebelts on, try to minimize the situation while loading the boats ("It's Just a precaution"") and get people into the boats while hoping they fail to notice that there's not enough for everybody aboard. There were no alarms, no sirens or anything like that.

THAT was how they avoided a panic.

Reactions: Roger Southern and William Oakes
William Oakes

William Oakes

No, but the popular consensus by most of the world was that Titanic was unsinkable. So, in that respect, it was unthinkable.