Hubbard's The Titanic was Anyone Have This Book

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pat Cook

Apr 26, 2000
Hi Darren,

For what it's worth, I've seen it a couple of times (If memory serves) on Ebay over the last 3 or so years. I don't remember seeing it for so high a price, though.

Invariably, when someone is selling Hubbard they report that he died on the Titanic. Of course, this makes it VERY hard to write a book about it after dying. Hubbard, in fact, went down with the Lusitania.

Best regards, O M
Cook

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
There's a slab of Hubbard in Titanica, edited by Steven Biel (who gets Hubbards' death right). I assume it's from the book in question. It starts at page 120. It's very typical of the rhapsodies that were churned out in 1912. It sings the praises of Astor, Butt and others. Like other books of the period, it seems of some interest as an example of mythmaking. How much is true is another thing. It's your money!

Patty Miller

Jan 10, 1998
Darren, I have this book.According to Michael
Tennero's web site (www.titanicbooksite.com)it is
indeed very scarce. The ones I have seen on
www.abebooks.com have been selling for up to
$1000.00. I would like to point out , however, that it is a very short work. The book is small,
and the pages are few.I don't have it out at the
moment, but I think it has from 14 to 20 pages.
Michael Tennero, could probably tell you the
exact pages.He has such a comprehensive site on
Titanic books, that before I purchase any Titanic
books, I check his site first. Hope this helps.
Patty

Oct 13, 2000
although it was not meant to be, I would almost call this little booklet a work of fiction. it has just 32 pages. Hubbard personally knew many of the first class passengers who died in the tragedy. he lauds upon the passengers of the first cabin all the nobility, bravery and fortitude that the high and the mighty of the time wanted to believe they possessed. Hubbard was pretty much making it up as he went along, though.

the copy on eBay has the original dust jacket, or at least portions of it. copies of the book itself are scarce, but copies with the dust jacket are exceedingly hard to come by. as such, it is hard to give a fair assessment of value.

I should make a clarification to what Patty said about the copy on Abe. it is not selling for $1,000. the dealer is asking $1,000, which is a big difference. the book dealer who has had that $1,000 copy has had it listed on there for several years now with no takers. this indicates to me that it is way overpriced.

hope any of this helps!
Michael (TheManInBlack) T

Sep 26, 1999
Thanks Michael for this great information. I would never buy any rare Titanic book without consulting your expertise first. Patty, you seem to have all of the most rarest of Titanic books. Are there any books on The Titanic that you don't have?

Patty Miller

Jan 10, 1998
Darren, there are quite a few of the rare Titanic books, I do not have, such as a hardcopy of
Lightoller's book, a hardcopy of Frank Goldsmith's
book, etc. I have been lucky in getting some rare
finds, such as the Journal of Commerce. And lucky
for me, my search has found me some great finds,
at not unreasonable prices.

And Michael is right, the seller on abebooks.com has been ASKING a $1000.00 but no one has purchased it. I got my copy on www.alibris.com
for about $250.00. Did I get a good deal? I really don't know due to it being a little booklet,all be it a scarce one.

If there are any particular ones, you
are looking for ...email me at [email protected] and I will let you know
if I have one available. Patty

Sep 26, 1999
The two I want the most are Archibald Gracies account of the disaster and the one you lucked up on a few months ago, Jack Thayers account.

Jul 12, 2003
Patty...I would imagine that you did get a good deal if it is something that you have wanted and something that makes you happy.

M

Melissa E. Kalson

Hi Darren..
Speaking of Archibald Gracie's account of the disaster.. I just bought a copy today and have been avidly reading it. Not very far into it yet as I just started but so far it's very thought provoking and insightful. Of course this is not an 'original' as I probably couldn't afford it. It is a reprint but still good reading. Anyway just thought I'd put my two cents in here
happy.gif
Sincerely, Melissa K.

Kalman Tanito

Jul 9, 2002
I have an extra copy of Hubbard's "Titanic" (1923) in near mint condition, drop me a note privately if you are interested in it.

Kalman

Status
Not open for further replies.