Hugh Roscoe Rood

• Thread starter Marie Voorhees Avelsgaard
  • Start date

M

Marie Voorhees Avelsgaard

I am doing research on my lst cousin, twice removed, HUGH ROSCOE ROOD, who died on the Titanic. He was born 23 apr 1873 to Vernon Dudley Rood and Sarah Catharine Voorhees who were both bornand raised in New Jersey. Sarah Catharine Voorhees was a sister to my grgr grandfather, Henry Rockefeller Voorhees. I know Hugh was married to Lena Allen Stoiber (widow) on 16 jan 1909 in Vancouver, Clark Co., WA. I have a picture of his mother & father. If anyone out there knows more personal info about him, i.e. what he did for a living, why he was aboard the Titanic, etc. , please email me. Thank you.

Marie Voorhees Avelsgaard
Minnesota

W

William Armour Murdoch

This month of May 2000, I am in personal contact with the family of Hugh R. Rood. We are researching together his sailing on the Titanic.

Please confirm: Did he sail from Southhampton?
Lester Mitcham;Randy Bingham;Ben Holmes state alternat (non-boarding) possibility, pro and con.

George Behe calls him incorrectly, "Hugo," R. Rood saying boarded at Southampton, First Class Cabin A-32.

Does any other information now exist confirming that he did or did not sail on the Titanic?

Armour
[email protected] May 11, 2000.

Tracy Smith

Apr 20, 2012
South Carolina USA
Funny you should ask. I'm presently reading Kristen Iversen's bio of Molly Brown and Rood is mentioned in this book. Rood and Molly Brown were the only Denverites booked on the Titanic.

Kristen Iversen speculated that Rood may not have been on Titanic at all, because Molly knew Rood personally and did not see him at all during the voyage.

W

William Armour Murdoch

Tracy Smith and Lester Micham: Thanks for your message. I will purchase the book re "Molly," Brown. Actual name Margaret but Molly was used in the "Unsinkable MB."

Still need to know name of city from which he boarded. Need to know confirmation as to whether he stayed at the Ritz in Paris or London. His wife Lena Rood had a home in Paris although George Behe says they stayed at the Ritz in Paris - conflict?

Lena was the very wealthy one and without a wife on board, he may have stayed Socially and otherwise low key. As Lena was a very wealthy Denver socialite, she would have positively known of Margaret Brown - both were in the gold mining business, Lena having inherited from former husband. Hugh, personally much lower in the financial scale may have felt out of water in that mileau, or might not have been accepted socially into the world of the very wealthy.

Lady Duff Gordon, a survivor was his neighbor, on A Deck. I would be pleased to query the Duff Gordon family (British Peers).

The A deck stewards, would have known if there is a way to research that far back.

Armour May 12, 2001

Dec 6, 2000
Hi Armour,

According to both MT 9/920/201 and BT 100/260 Rood's Last Place of Abode was the: Ritz Hotel, London. He boarded Titanic at Southampton.

Hope this helps,
Lester

Dec 7, 2000
Rood would have had closer neighbors than the Duff Gordons.

Also his price of ticket was rather high and he obtained a restaurant rebate, therefore he had to pay for every one of his meals. He obviously crossed with plenty of money. If he and Molly never met, it could be because they ate in separate places and their accommodation wasn't close to each other for them to bump into each other.

Regards,

Daniel.

Dec 7, 2000
Hi,

As most of you would know, George Behe no longer posts on this board. Interested by all the acknowledgement given to him regarding information on Mr. Rood, I forwarded him a message by Armour from this board. He replied and requested that I post his reply on this board from him, so here it is.
-----------------------------------------------------

Hi, Daniel!

Thanks very much for forwarding Mr. Armour's comments on the ET board about Hugh Rood's ET biography. I think Mr. Armour probably looked at the bottom of the Rood biography, saw my name listed in the acknowledgements and mistakenly assumed that I was responsible for *all* of the information that appears there.

Mr. Armour wrote:

>Pleased to note the knowledge on this page about various cabins (paint fumes
>- a surprise) and names of occupants and where boarded. Behe names Rood as
>"Hugo Roscoe Rood," when his first name is "Hugh."

"Hugo" must be a misprint in the ET biography; I have never told anyone that Rood's first name was "Hugo" -- it was "Hugh."

>There were questions as
>to whether he did not board or got off the ship, but other correspondents
>are quite positive he did board.

Absolutely true.

>I am relating directly with the family of Hugh Roscoe Rood, shown by George
>Behe as occupying A-32 First Class (Ticket Number 113767 (50 Pounds cost).

All quite true. The Titanic's handwritten passenger manifest contains the ticket info. The New York Sun, May 2, 1912 stated that Rood's cabin was A32. Also, the sad little note that Mrs. Rood sent to the White Star Line (which accompanied the white flowers that she asked to be placed on the caskets of the unidentified victims in Halifax) also specified that Mr. Rood's cabin was A32.

>Behe says Rood purchased his ticket in Southampton, yet also states that
>(they) were in Paris when Rood booked a single passage on the Titanic.

I have never claimed that Mr. Rood purchased his ticket in Southampton. Mrs. Rood told the New York Sun that Mr. Rood purchased a single passage on the Titanic while he and Mrs. Rood were in Paris; any other info about that subject that appears in the ET biography did not come from me.

>I am (was) a personal friend to Mrs. Lena Rood's maid, formerly of Seattle
>and now deceased. She said they were in London at the Ritz when she told us
>about Hugh going to America and Lena and herself not going on the Titanic.

Interesting. It might be difficult to determine which information is accurate, though -- the 1912 interview with Mrs. Rood or the modern-day conversation with Mrs. Rood's maid. The 1912 interview specifies that Mrs. Rood sailed from France after she learned that the Titanic had gone down (which -- if true -- would seem to lend credence to the claim that Rood purchased his ticket while he and his wife were in Paris.) However, I'm certainly willing to consider new information and will make a note of the new info that you tell me has been presented on the ET board.

I hope you'll ask Mr. Armour to share more information about the Rood family with the ET board, and I hope you'll forward any such info to me if he does so.

Take care, old chap.

All my best,

George

------------------------------------------------------

It seems quite clear that Mrs. Rood must have requested to know what cabin her husband was in, perhaps to question nearby occupants (survivors) to know more about her husband, so the cabin number was published in the papers.

Regards,

Daniel.

R

Rachel Fellman

"Nothing is known of either John Bertram Crafton or Hugh Rood, however, besides their prescence on the ship and their deaths in the disaster; they could just as likely have been clerics as crooks, saints as sinners, and were chosen from the anonymous deceased because of the
melodramatic felicity of their names. I would say that I intend no offense to their memories, but unfortunately no memories of them appear to endure." That was Max Allen Collins, author of "The Titanic Murders", on why he chose Mr. Rood to be one of the villains of his work. Ever since I read that paragraph (and the book), I've wanted for someone to prove him wrong and tell us something about one of these two men- just to show that one should never take this kind of liberty with real lives, no matter how well-intentioned they are. Gosh, that was some of the most pompous language I've used in a long, long while. But you get the point. Thank you for improving my life today...
-Rachel
Tell me again why I read Titanic fiction.

Ben Holme

Feb 11, 2001
Interesting discussion. Excuse my extreme lateness to it.

Many thanks to George Behe for helping us out, and thanks to Daniel for posting the message. Perhaps Mr. Behe could corroborate the story about Miss Margaret Hays having last seen Hugh Rood standing next to boat #7 and helpeing to load it with women? I'm afraid I can't remember where I read this.

Thanks and regards,
Ben

Pat Cook

Apr 27, 2000
Ah HA! Thanks for clearing that one up, o' grandson o'mine. I thought it was the British version of a domestic quarrel. As in "My wife and I got into a typh!"

I can see clearly now,
Cook

W

William Armour Murdoch

This is Armour again having read Rachel Fellman's surprising note on "The Titanic Murders," another book I shall immediately purchase. Rachel, it would be a tremendous stretch of the immagination that Hugh Rood would be involved in a murder. He was a responsible CEO of a Seattle company and married to a very wealthy lady. After I read the book I will be back in touch.

I too would be fascinated to get confirmation on the issue of Hugh Rood by Boat #7, assisting with the loading of women and children, that is more like it. Please, someone provide more info.

Pardon the misspelling of Daniel in my last note. Lester, where do the numbers MT 9/920/201 and BT 100/260 come from? I am still a novice on the Titanic but learning day by day.

Dec 6, 2000
Armour,

MT 9/920/201 and BT 100/260 are the document numbers for the Lists of Deceased Passengers held by the UK Public Record Office.

Lester

Dec 7, 2000
I get it! Instead of "Hugh" Phil has Hugo, so when he said "typh", he meant typo, he swapped the 'h' and the 'o' in both words.
proud.gif

W

William Armour Murdoch

Lester Micham. Thanks for your info. The reason I ask is in April 1912 would it have been easy to purchase a ticket in Paris for a sailing planned to debark from Southampton. Rood could have debarked from Cherbourg but it appears he debarked from Southhampton. I have now confirmed that his wife debarked from Southhampton on a German Ship for New York, along with her maid, the lady I talke to those many years ago. I really believe he bought his ticket in London. I wonder?

Rachel Fellman: It was a bit gutsy for the author of Murder on the Titanic to select (a man) from the Titanic whom he thought no-one would recognize or possibly care about. Far from true through our joint efforts, Hugh Roscoe Rood was never forgotten and shall be better known as this saga progresses. I have ordered the book and will show it to the Rood family here in Seattle.

I have also ordered the book on Margaret Brown a/k/a Mollie. It will be interesting reading.

Armour

W

William Armour Murdoch

Can anyone tell me how I can find out aboutAmerican's by name, coming from America to the Port of Southhampton for period late 1911 and early 1912? Is the name of a ship required?

Armour