Husbands and Wives of Titanic Survivors

Sep 26, 1999
Does anyone know how many husbands and wives of Titanic survivors are still around? I would imagine that number would be very low. The only ones that come to mind for me is Colina Wells- Ralph Wells wife, Marie Aks- Frank Aks wife and Bertram Deans wife Dorothy.

Mar 10, 1998
Hey Darren,
There are several others (unless some have died very recently):

1. Meyer Moore's wife Henrietta
2. Richard Norris Williams' wife, Sue
3. Emilio Portaluppi's 2nd wife, Lena
4. Johan Cervin Svensson's 2nd wife (can't think of her given name)
5. George Rheims' second wife, Dolores
6. John Morgan Davis's wife, Leona

All but Richard Norris Williams' wife remarried after the death or divorce of their spouse.

I might have missed one somewhere but these make a total of 9 still surviving. There are a few that were divorced that I haven't tracked but they would be very old if alive and I think it doubtful.

Hope this is what you were looking for.

Phil

George Behe

Dec 11, 1999
Hi, Andrew!

>Are there any husbands still living?

Some of us husbands look like we're dead, but technically we're still alive. :)

All my best,

George

Mar 10, 1998
Darren, I think I missed another one--I believe that Ty Joseph's wife Catherine is still living. If so, she is 85.

Andrew, I don't have a good search mechanism to find the last living husband in my spreadsheet, but as best as I can tell from a quick "run-through," the last three were:
3. Albert Mueller (died June 16, 1994) husband of Barbara H. Baclini (he was 87 years old)
2. Philip Roy Pont (died April 15, 1995) husband of Nan Harper (he was 92 years old)
1. George Khanisur (died July 27, 1996), husband of Marie C. Baclini (he was 94 years old at the time of his death)

Sep 26, 1999
Phil, what was the age difference between Richard Norris William and his wife Sue? I am really surprised that his wife would still be living. Must be a huge age difference.

Mar 10, 1998
Hey Darren,
There was 16 years age difference between the Williamses (which pales when compared with the 48 year age difference between George Rheims and his second wife Dolores. George would be 124 if living today but his widow, at 75, is the youngest of the surviving widows. Lena Portaluppi, at 98, would be the oldest.

But bad news--it looks like Sue Williams died a little over a year ago at the age of 93--so that's one less surviving widow than I thought if the information I got today is correct. She used to be interviewed occasionally on Philly area TV stations and had a brilliant smile and radiant personality.

Phil

Sep 26, 1999
I guess it was kind of common for old men to marry real young women back then wasn't it? I guess that is why we still have a little old civil war widow living down in Alabama. Mr. Rheims and his wifes 48 year difference seems to prove this. I guess that is why there are no husbands of Titanic survivors living, men just didn't marry women that were a few years older back then.

Mar 10, 1998
Hi Colleen, the Confederate widow in Alabama is named Alberta Martin I think. I believe there is also a black Civil War widow living in Colorado. Seems unbelievable doesn't it? But the Guinness Book of World records lists the last surviving Confederate soldier as dying in 1959 and that was really not all that long ago.

PG

Mar 10, 1998
PS: Just checked--Alberta Martin is the correct name. She's now 96 years old and lives in Elba, Alabama. (FBI records you know--)

Phil

Sep 26, 1999
The other civil war widow was Daisy Anderson but I believe she passed away a couple of years ago. I have an excellent photo of them that appeared in a newspaper when Alberta was 90 and Daisy was 96. The photo was taken in July of 1997 when the widows met at a burial ceremony at Gettysburg, Pa., for an unknown Civil War soldier whose remains were found in 1996 in the battlefield there. I remember reading more on Mrs. Alberta Martin a few years ago when she appeared in Columbia, South Carolina in defense of the Confederate Flag during the debate on whether it should be taken off the capital building which in the end it was and placed really in a more noticeable place- right in front of the building.

May 8, 2001
I am flabbergasted! RE:The last Confederate soldier. I believe he died in mid-December, so he almost made it to 1960. The "Ken Burns, Civil War" video collection has clippings of the last soldier, and his funeral.

Sep 26, 1999
It is amazing how these people have a window into the past to share with people today. Imagine the look on peoples faces when Mrs. Martin says, "My husband fought in the Civil War".