Hypothetical Question - For historical continuity.

Atlantic1987

May 26, 2017
I have a character in my project who, coincidentally, travelled aboard the Carpathia (she was the first result I found when looking for liners that went to the Mediterranean Sea during that period) prior to booking passage on the Titanic. In her backstory, she and her parents were touring parts of southern Europe, first making landfall in Naples. They've been in Europe for at least three weeks, having left London on the morning of 4/10/1912.

For the sake of accuracy, is it too far-fetched to have the Carpathia make a New York-to-Naples run in March 1912?

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
Yes. Carpathia didn't make her first 1912 arrival at New York until 29 March and her first New York departure until 11 April.

Last edited:
A

Aaron_2016

Searched the newspapers for ships sailing from New York to Naples in March 1912. There were quite a few, although some of them were not a direct service and made other stops along the way:

Adriatic
Ivernia
Ancona
Calabria
Berlin
Carmania
Koenig Albert
Venezia Giovanni
Oceana
Italia
Argentina
Duca d' Aosta
Principe di Piemonte
Sant' Anna

and the Prinzess Irene which was later renamed the USS Pocahontas was advertised in a large notice and scheduled for a special voyage on March 16th. However it was delayed to March 17th.

Naples2.PNG

shipsailing.PNG

On March 14th 1912 the SS Canada departed Naples on her maiden voyage to New York. Both ships may have passed each other. One ship wishing good luck to the other.

Last edited by a moderator: