I am so happy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandra Matras

Jul 13, 2004
I finally got a copy of A Night To Remember as a birthday present from a friend. I have read the book, but never actually owned a copy - so YAY for having fabulous friends! She also gave me the sequel, which I did already own - so now I have a spare copy of that.
happy.gif

Jun 12, 2004
No stars (unless you consider Kenneth More a star), and the movie makes Lightoller larger-than-life, but it's deemed the most realistic one to date. I think you'll like it. ;)

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Though More was undoubtedly a major star in Britain, he is onscreen for only about 20 minutes in a film lasting over two hours. Producer William MacQuitty always maintained that the only real star was the ship. "We were not looking for stars, but for actors who could represent real people. Stars would have been unreal". A wise decision.

Eric Paddon

Jun 4, 2002
Actually there are a couple other semi-big names in smaller roles. Honor Blackman for instance is probably the most famous member of the cast based on her later roles in "The Avengers" and of course in "Goldfinger". And David McCallum (Bride) went on to bigger fame in "The Man From UNCLE".

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
If we're including star status yet to come, then ANTR provided maybe an early appearance for another star of Goldfinger - as an agent even more deadly than Illya Kuriakin! - but the jury's still out on that possibility.

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
Laurence Naismith (it must be pointed out) was perhaps not a name well known to American filmgoers, however his face was indeed well known especially to children who grew up watching Walt Disney movies such as "The Three Lives of Thomasina," and "Greyfriar's Bobby" and teamed again with Kenneth More in the 1970 film "Scrooge."
Bond fans will also remember him in "Diamonds are Forever."
However what I find interesting in his role as Capt. Smith, is that the man actually had been a Merchant Marine seaman. He knew firsthand how officers ran their ships. This experience gave him great advantage in this role.

Kyrila

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
The same can be said of Kenneth More, who had served during wartime as an officer in the Royal Navy. I'm not sure about the background of Anthony Bushell, who played Captain Rostron, but he did seem to specalise in roles as naval or army officers. In fact, ANTR was made close enough to the era of wartime and 'national service' that many of the actors playing crewmen would have had service backgrounds, and as such had a better understanding of their roles in films like ANTR or The Cruel Sea than would be commonly found today.

This sort of experience was not confined to those in front of the camera. Eric Ambler, who wrote the screenplays for both these films, had risen through the ranks from artilleryman to combat photographer in the Italian campaign, then finally to a Lieutenant Colonel making combat training films. Roy Ward Baker, who directed ANTR, worked in the same unit. They knew how to create drama from the experiences of real people under pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.