I don't know his name or even if he sailed on Titanic

L

Laura Melinda Varjo

Hi, I've read in my book that a person, forgot his name, can't find the page, well it was something like Jay, I think went on the Titanic in second class under a fake name to escape from a jail he was in in England. He gave a note to a fellow passenger that he died in the sinking, possibly so they could stop searching for him. But did he really went on the Titanic, or wrote the note in England, then gave it to a passenger, who was going to be a survivor ?

Thanks,

Laura

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Laura, you may be thinking of Jay Yates. As I understand it, he arranged for such a story to get out while on the lam for fraud. The fact is that he never sailed on the ship at all and was eventually caught by the authorities anyway.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Though we now know that Yates was not on board, his scheme worked well enough to get him (or rather his character) a part in the film version of ANTR. He is first seen as a professional gambler at work in the 1st Class smoking room, where Lightoller recognises and names him. Later he is shown passing his note to a woman boarding a lifeboat, and finally in the water, being turned away from the overcrowded Collapsible B and saying "Good luck, God Bless You" before swimming away to his death. A number of survivors recalled those words, but in reality they were spoken by an unidentified victim.

L

Laura Melinda Varjo

So wait, if the number of survivors recalled these words, how the heck could society suspect it was Jay Yates ? I mean it could have been, and was, of course an other person. But how did he know the ship will sink, if he arranged his plans "to sail" on her ? Was he going to tell the passenger he'll jump overboard or something ?

Lies will always be found out sooner or later.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>how the heck could society suspect it was Jay Yates ?<<

Confabulation, misdirection, confusing the stories and the like. A lot of moden day legends get started that way and all because people tend not to get their facts strieght.

>>But how did he know the ship will sink, if he arranged his plans "to sail" on her ?<<

He didn't know it at all. He was simply trying to leave a false trail for the police to follow. Sned off a telegram saying you're doing one thing while doing something else entirely. That the ship went ahead and sank later on was simply convenient, but ultimately it didn't work. He got caught anyway.

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
The Jay Yates legend is also incorporated in to the TITANIC Musical, as well; the character reveals his identity during the sinking scenes.

L

Laura Melinda Varjo

"I'll bet a few of his victims wished he had sailed on the Titanic !" lol

Too bad I never saw the Musical, I didn't care about the Titanic then. But I have it's CD, and I heard from my mom's friend it was quite good, especially the sinking part, how they made the floors tilt, as the ship was sinking, and the whole thing was remarkably well done.