I need info on Halifax cemetery please help

D

Dennis Foley

Fellow ET-ers: I've just found that I'll be traveling to Halifax on July 2, a mere 2 weeks away, for 5 days. I probably won't have enough time between now and then to research where the Titanic cemetery is and how to get there, tho I expect local folk there could certainly help me when I arrive. I believe the name is Fairview Cemetery? Or is it Mt. Olivet? Can anyone help me out here on the name and possibly directions? Thanks a million. Dennis

Brian Meister

Mar 1, 2001
Dear Dennis,

You will find the Haligonians to be quite
friendly and helpful during your trip to
to the Titanic graves. There are three
cemeteries to visit. Faurview Lawn Cemetery
holds 150 graves of Titanic victims and
overlooks the Bedford Basin. Towards the
front of the cemetery near the main entrance
is the Baron de Hirsch Jewish Cemetery which
looks more like a section of Fairview than
it's own entity. A short drive away is the
Mt Olivet Cemetery for the Catholic victims
which holds 19 men and women from Titanic.
My visit nearly 12 years ago was quite
moving for me and I was able to walk the
cemetery and reflect on the passengers and
crews lives that I had researched for many
years.
Don't forget to visit the grave of Titanic
survivor Hilda Slayter Lacon in Camp Hill
Cemetery, and the memorial to passenger
George Wright across from Halifax in
nearby Dartmouth.

I envy you and the profound experience
you are about to encounter. One day I will
get back...

If you need street addresses you might
try one of the mapping websites on the
WWW for directions. These maps can be
printed off and are quite helpful in locating
other venues such as the Maritime Museum of
the Atlantic which is a must see.

Hope this helps! Have a great time.

Jun 24, 2003
Dennis,

While visiting Halifax two years ago, on a cruise, there were taxi drivers lined up everywhere eager to be our tour guide. The two stops we requested were the Fairview cemetery and the Maritime Museum. The unidentified baby's grave was by far the most touching. Our taxi driver informed us that the Titanic graves were lined up in the shape of a ship pointing to the actual sinking location.

The Maritime Museum had some very impressive items displayed. My favorite was the carved wood from either the smoking room or library.

Our driver also took us out to Peggy's Cove, which was an old retired fishing village. There is also a Citadel downtown that was quite impressive.

As previously posted you might also inquire on the internet for guided tours in that area.

Good Luck on your trip.

Barbara

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi Dennis,

I've also been to Halifax and it's a beautiful city. If you get to the Maritime Museum which as Brian said is something that shouldn't be missed, be sure and pick up in the gift shop "Halifax: A Guide to Sites" by Alan Jeffers and Rob Gordon. It's a terrific pocket book filled with related sites and information. They have some great Titanic items there!

You can arrange to have a tour of the three cemeteries. If you're interested, e-mail me and I'll give you the info.

One of these days, I'll get out there again. I have yet to see the Public Archives and the other related sites outside of Halifax. Enjoy your trip!

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

Mar 15, 2001
Brian is right, the people that live in Halifax are very helpful and friendly. I am so glad that the interest in the Titanic has helped Halifax in so many ways. I would never have even thought about going to Halifax had it not been for the connection to the Titanic but once I got there, I discovered so much more about Nova Scotia. I drove the entire route of the Cabot Trail and its absolutely beautiful. Please, take the time and visit all three cemetaries. You will regret it if you don't when you look back on your trip. I got my directions on how to get there from a lady who was walking down the street. Her directions for me turned into a 30 minute conversation. She was a very nice lady who told me she was originally from the area around Coconut Grove, Florida and was now living in Halifax. What a contrast!

K

Karin Kasper

I also recently returned from a trip to Halifax, and went to the cemetaries as well. I have toucheed the Big Piece before, but visiting these three cemetaries was for me so much more moving. I got the same feeling from this place as I did when visiting Pearl Harbor, or Ground Zero in New York City.

I also dragged hubby around to check out several other Titanic related things in Halifax. He was a remarkably good sport throughout the whole thing.
happy.gif

D

Dennis Foley

I went to the Fairview and Mt. Olivet cemeteries and was in awe just seeing the headstones and names. The Baron de Hirsch is a private cemetery and was closed and, as I was advised at Fairview, can be viewed only by appointment. A wonderful trip. Also, this past weekend, I took my mother to St. Mary's Cemetery in Rahway, NJ, to visit my father's and my mother's family graves and once again saw Arthur O'Keefe's (listed as Arthur Keefe, third class) memorial. I quizzed my mother again about this very small cemetery. She swears that there is a Titanic survivor buried there as well. Every time I have attempted to search this cemetery, something has blocked me, either rain, ice, mud, whatever. This time it was 90-some degrees and I was time-constrained so I did not, again, get to wander. My mother is insistent that there is a second Titanic person there, a survivor. If anyone ever gets time to peruse this cemetery and finds out that my mother is right, please let us know. Thanks again everyone. Dennis

Apr 27, 2003
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Dennis,
Ref your query - actually you mother is very right as there are four Titanic related graves there.
Buy you mum a bunch of flowers!
From my Book Titanic Memorials Worldwide Where They are Located I give you:
Riordan, Miss Hannah (later Spollen). Third Class passenger. Survivor. Died September 29th, 1982 and was buried in the Gate of Heaven Cemetery, Hawthorne, New York.
as a bonus there is also:
Young, Marie Grice. First Class passenger. Survivor. 36 years old. Died July 27th 1959 and was buried in the Gate of Heaven Cemetery, Hawthorne, New York.
Corr, Ellen, (also known as Ellen Carr, later Mrs. Sweeney). Third Class passenger. Survivor. 16 years old. Died 9th March 1980 and is buried in the Gate of Heaven Cemetery - Hawthorne, New York.
Mr. O'Keefe you know about.
In fact the geographical section gives:
New York, Hawthorne, Gate of Heaven Cemetery. Holds the body of Miss Helen Corr - also known as Ellen Carr - (later Mrs. Sweeney).
also holds the grave of Patrick A. O'Keefe.
also holds the grave of Hannah Riordan (later Mrs. Spollen).
also holds the grave of Mrs. Marie Grice Young.

Parents are always right!
Cheers

Brian J. Ticehurst - Southampton UK.

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi Dennis,

"The Baron de Hirsch is a private cemetery and was closed and, as I was advised at Fairview, can be viewed only by appointment."

There is an entrance at the back along the fence. Mind you, it's a little tricky to get in through that way. That's what the group of us did when we there in April 2001. The cemetery was supposed to be open for us when we arrived, but it wasn't. Luckily, someone found the back entrance and that's how we got in.

Glad you enjoyed your trip!

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif