I need to know ASAP Please

S

Sherilyn Wilson

Hey I am student and Iwas wondering if anyone can help me...

I am doing a report and you had to choose a stuctural design and chose the Titanic. What I need to know is How the ship was built..Like calculations..but more so How did Mathematics tie into building the Titanic. If anyone can please help me I need it for a report..thanks s0o0o much...Email me at WildAngel1018@cs.com

May 9, 2001
I'm afraid there isn't a simple way to answer your question Sherilyn. I can give you some basic facts about the building of Titanic. But it would be up to you to build your research from there. Most of these items I've listed are common in any popular book about Titanic.
I might suggest that if you intend to use the building of Titanic as an example of mathematics at work, you should first pick up some books that will help define the nautical vocabulary that is unique to ships and to Titanic. Words like 'displacement', 'tonnage', 'bilge', 'keel', 'rivets', and 'buoyancy'. It will be very helpful to understand these words before you begin to tackle the subject of shipbuilding, and marine architecture.
GOOD LUCK!

1. The Titanic was designed and built by a company in Belfast Ireland, called Harland & Wolff. The company still exists and even has a website. http://www.harland-wolff.com/
(There is an email address for the company communications officer listed. You might try to ask him for help.)

2. The chief designer/builder for the Titanic was Thomas Andrews. He was on the maiden voyage and lost his life in the sinking. There are a couple of private web sites with information on him.

3. Titanic was the second of three sister ships built by Harland & Wolff. They were: Olympic, Titanic, and Britannic.

4. The Titanic was designed to be the safest vessel afloat at the time. With her hull divided into 16 watertight compartments, an electric switch on the bridge to close all the watertight doors instantly, and a double steel bottom; Titanic was designed to stay afloat. Even if two of her watertight compartments were breached and flooded. She could even float if the first 4 of her compartments were opened to the sea.

5. Her hull was made of 1 inch thick steel plates. The plates were riveted together. (Most ships today have their plates welded together, instead of using rivets. Welded seams are much stronger than riveted seams.)

6. Titanic's hull was around 882 feet long, and around 92 feet wide.

7. Titanic had 10 decks within her hull.

8. Titanic's size was estimated at over 45,000 tons of displacement.

9. Titanic's top speed was designed to be around 22 - 24 knots.

10. Titanic was powered by coal-burning boilers which produced steam. The high pressure steam drove the engines and turned the propellers. There were 3 propellers, two directly connected to the two steam engines, and one connected to a turbine that also used steam for power.

Yuri

Dave Hudson

Apr 15, 2011
Yuri,

"Titanic's size was estimated at over 45,000 tons of displacement."

Titanic's displacement was 52,310 tons. I believe you are referring to gross tonnage. Titanic "weighed" in at 46,328 gross tons. Gross tonnage measures the volume of all enclosed spaces (100 cubic feet = 1 ton).
Displacement measures the amount of water that is displaced by the ship and everything aboard (cargo, fuel, etc.).
The closest to actual ship weight is the lightweight tonnage, which is the weight of the ship without anything inside. Titanic's lightweight was 38,760 tons.

Hope this helps,

David

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
For an excruciatingly detailed description of the ship, see the Board Of Trade Wreck Commissions report on the Titanic Inquiry Project Website at;

http://www.titanicinquiry.org/BOTInq/BOTReport/BOTRep01.html

I'm afraid it doesn't get much more detailed then that unless you can get your hands on the notes of Alexander Carlisle or Thomas Andrews. However, if you can get all of that, I hope you'll consider offering the article here to ET for publication.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

May 9, 2001
David,
I appreciate your eagerness to offer a correction to my statement, but I wasn't intending it to be scrutinized. Its just an attempt to point a nice kid who asked for help in a general direction.
The facts I offered were given off the top of my head, and late at night, out of pity for the kid's question. (Since no one else had responded to her at the time.)
Cut me some slack dude.

Yuri

P

Patricia Bowman Rogers Winship

Yuri--

Excellent job. This is the sort of question that librarians get asked every day by students who aren't really aware how deep and complicated the subject they have chosen is. You answered it as well as it could possibly be answered

Pat Winship

Dave Hudson

Apr 15, 2011
Yuri,

I think you misunderstood. I, too, was trying to help Sherilyn out. I probably should have addressed to her and not you. I wanted to make sure she was getting the right info. I think it's great that you were the first to help out a girl who would have otherwise been ignored. I was trying to do the same thing by not only correcting an error, but also providing other dimensions for her report.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

happy.gif

David

PS-I got an email from you with a download. The download was blank. I hope it's not another virus!!!!!

May 9, 2001
DAVID!!!! DON'T OPEN ANY EMAIL ATTACHMENTS SENT FROM AN ADDRESS WITH MY NAME!! ITS A VIRUS!!
DELETE IT!!

I'm serious! I had a virus on my computer back in November. It originated from a bogus email from another member here and I made the mistake of opening it. It messed up my computer something terrible and I finally thought I had killed it, but this weekend I got several auto-reply messages from other people saying I had sent them messages with attachments that were infected.
The fact is I'VE NOT SENT ANY EMAILS TO ANYONE ON THIS BOARD IN A LONG TIME. THESE MESSAGES ARE BOGUS AND PROBABLY INFECTED! YOU MUST DELETE THE MESSAGE AND THEN SCAN YOUR COMPUTER FOR ANY VIRUSES!

I'm trying to fix this problem on my end but at this point I'm almost out of options. Looks like I may have to re-format the hard drive, or just pony up for a new PC.

Let me know when you receive this. I'm going to post to everyone on the board to warn them.

Rats!! Sorry.

Yuri

Dave Hudson

Apr 15, 2011
Yuri,

AHHH!!!!

Too late!!!

I'm running a scan to dectect any viruses right now. Strange, it didn't come from your email address that's in your profile. It came from (I hope you don't mind me posting this, I'll remove it if you wish):
_YSINGLETON@carolina.rr.com
It was simply titled "Re:"
The download was called "info.DOC.mim"
I tried to email you back at the same address but it was returned, saying that that email address doesn't exsist. (How amusing, I was sent an email from a non-existant address)

This is TERRIBLE!!! It's not your fault, it's my fault for opening the stupid thing!

David

S

Sherilyn Wilson

Hey I just wanted to thank those who helped me with my question it was and is much much appreciated thank you s0o0o0o0o much!!
THANK YOU!

~x0x0~
*Sherilyn*