I think i know why ibm obsessed with titanic

Status
Not open for further replies.

mary mason

Aug 24, 2003
the wreck of titanic was found on 1st september 1985 right? well i was born on 31st october 1985, at the time the wreck was found my mum was ill and had to stay in her bedroom, the tv was on nearly all day while my dad was at work, to keep her occupied, so obviously the news would have come on alot, i think that i must of kept hearing the word "Titanic" over and over while in my mum womb that it became embedded into my brain and hence, i became obbsessed- well its just a thought lol
(mods can delete this if they like, i just thought it was a good theory)

B

Brian R Peterson

Hi Mary,

Fascinating theory, takes me back to my Sociology classes
smile.gif

Everyone has a reason and a cause for becoming interested and or "obsessed" with the Titanic albeit for different reasons.

Mine started when I was in 4th grade, that would place me as being around 10-11 years at that time, and my school had a Reading Is Fundamental program where every so often we would get free books we could select.

I came across a history of Carter's discovery of King Tut's tomb but then I focused on the Discovery of the Titanic paperback I saw next to it. I picked it up and began leafing through the pages and when I came to the fold out cutaway of the ship, I was sold and picked it up for myself.

I began reading it and just became totally fascinated with the great ship and why she sank, and over the years I read more and more about her, built every model I could find etc.

Now I am 22 with a magnificent collection of Titanica and I have an impressive archive of my drawings and illustrations of the great ship and her sisters, I have even started a book based on the "Adventure Out of Time" theme, but not bothering with all of that time travel nonsense, my storyline begins with the 1912 auction of the Rubiyat and the plot to steal it and then builds from there. So far I have about 80 pages worth done and if I ever finish, it should prove quite interesting.

Amazing when I think back that it all started because of a book in school....

Best Regards,

Brian

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Same story here, Brian, only my start was in the second grade after reading A Night To Remember. I've been hooked ever since. I think in this case that it helps that there is a lot that's out there whereas far worse shipping casualties in both war and peace have become little more then footnotes.

Dec 20, 2003
I know this is only a conincidence but I was born on April 15th 1990 at about 2:00 am but that's like,what,78 years after Titanic so it doesn't really mean very much aside from the fact I was born on the same date as the Titanic sunk.

Jeremy Lee

Jun 12, 2003
My interest started when I read Titanic Voices when I was in Primary 2 (7 years old) and subsequently reading more Titanic materials stoked my interest.
Just to let you know, although my birthday does not coincide with Titanic's sinking (but is the same day as Millvina Dean's), my primary school biggest enemy's birthday was on April 15th!

Jul 9, 2002
I have put on these boards a couple of times how I taught myself to read by reading a reprint of the New York Times declaring the disaster. i know that's when I got hooked. As far as Birthdays, mine is the 13th of April. Not the sinking date, but there she was, sailing the seas on her way to destiny!

J

Jack Coburn

I have to thank James Cameron for i wouldn't have been interested in this fascinating subject if i had never seen his movie. Now that i have read lots of books and seen other versions of the story i've realised his versions didn't tell a lot of what happened on board that night but i still think it's a great movie.

Matthew Lips

Mar 8, 2001
Nothing to do with Titanic, but I was born on 26th July. Three years to the day after Andrea Doria sank, and half a century to the day after Waratah vanished.

No wonder I've had this sinking feeling all my life!

Cara Ginter

Oct 25, 2004
Well, my theory is:

I was born on April 10th, 1990, around noon. So the year doesn't mean anything, but April 10th, and noon is the same! Departure! :D tehe. But in grade one, I was reading a book from off the shelf, a paper back easy read book on the Titanic. Don't know why I was reading an easy read book though, cause like, I had very high reading skills for my age, still do actually. :D

Steve Krienke

Nov 6, 2004
Aye Aye Jack,

Thanks to that movie, that showed officers shooting themselves, and naked women giving people the bird, it made me fasinated with the ship (not saying I am a pervert or anything lol)

The movie caused me to start writing about the ship, like I still do today. I had to piece together the real information, and rip out the false stuff!

Steve Krienke

Cara Ginter

Oct 25, 2004
Haha, my weird and strange theory of my obsession, I was born on April 10th 1990, around 12:00 noon.
happy.gif
I know I know, YEARS later, but that's ok.
happy.gif
Ok, so really, I became hooked in grade 1 when I was about 7 years old. I picked up a small Titanic easy read, and was hooked. It was written about Ruth Becker I believe. I'd love to get ahold of that book, to show everyone the thing that started my obsession, and, so they can get mad at it, for I tend to annoy people if I start talking about it.

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
Hi, Cara, and welcome to ET. You'll find that most of us here are "seasoned" adults with more studious approaches to Titanic, but you'll also find that we all - like yourself - became interested (ok, obsessed) at an early age. The book that got us interested was Walter Lord's "A Night to Remember." I'm not familiar with the book you described, but we have a member who has a website devoted to all books about Titanic who may know exactly which book that is and provide you with clues how to obtain it. However, if you annoy people with your obsession, they're not likely to help you continue it. I find that my family and friends have been impressed with my passion for the ship and have bought me books and treasures about Titanic at Christmas and birthdays.

I also share a Titanic birthday with you and know others who do as well. My birthday falls during the anniversary dates of the maiden voyage. It's the last, fully peaceful day the ship had before the tragic events. Can you guess what day that is?

Kind regards,
Kyrila Scully

Aug 15, 2005
Darwen, United Kingdom
Very cryptical, Kyrila. Wouldn't be the 13th, would it?
I envy you people that have Titanic birthdays.
I have a Titanic birthday of sorts, though.
On this date in 1965, Lookout Frederick Fleet hanged himself.
Also on this date (none Titanic related), in 1969, George Harrison announced to his fellow band members that he was going to quit the Beatles.
So that might explain why I've been a Beatles fan all my life, too - other than the fact that they're great.
I also share my birthday with Rasputin, and if you re-arrange the numbers in the year he was born (1869), you'll get the year that I was born.
Interesting, no?

J

Jeffrey Beaudry

Sadly, I don't have a birthday that coincides with anything Titanic (October 5th, 1990), but my obsession also began with Cameron's Titanic, and a class-wide, non-official reenactment of the movie (being pg rated, as we were in second grade). Also, my friend thought it would be a good idea to write a book on it involving penguins, which made me search for more sources, which lead to more knowledge, which led to... well, you get the idea.

Aug 15, 2005
Darwen, United Kingdom
And, thanks to Michael showing me the date index, I have seen two others that died on my DOB, and have just found out that someone, a Mr. William C. Peters, was born 100 years to the day before I was born!
I'm off to check his status now...

Teresa Parks

Feb 18, 2001
Hey Michael, - your birthday is 2 days after mine. I'm a christmas baby, 1968. As far as titanic coincidences - sadly on April 14th I honor 2 deaths - my baby, a loving black cat named Prince he died 2 years ago on that day. I miss him so much. Of course Titanic also - I consider Titanic's death day to be the 14th even though technically she didn't sink till the 15th at 2:20 a.m. but I think when she met the iceberg around 11 p.m. the night before is when her death began - so that's why I consider the 14 th her death day. Also, interesting to note: I have a friend who claims to be psychic ( for the record I do believe in some psychics not all - alot are fake. I also believe in reincarnation, ghosts & hauntings - I just don't think they happen as often as people claim they do )anyway, my friend said that she believes that anyone who has an obessesiveness about events in history - where it's more than just a passing interest - she feels is a reincarnation of a soul that was tied to that event. Before you start hearing the twilight zone music in your head - no I don't think I'm a reincarnation of a Titanic passenger or anything but I'm very entertained by that thought and I wanted to share it with you guys - who also could ponder that - like a good book you can't put down.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>but I think when she met the iceberg around 11 p.m.<<

To be close to exact, it was 11:40pm local time, give or take a few minutes.

As to so-called Paranormal Phenomenea, I nither believe nor disbelieve in any of them. All I can do is point out that so far, all attempts to test any such claims under controlled conditions that would positively refute any and all other possible causes has failed to validate same. There may be something to it, but when you get down to it, it's a matter of faith and not quantifiable fact.

Make of that what you will.

Personally, I don't think any interest of mine in history is due to some past life connection with any events. It's simply a desire on my part to know where we've been and why. Hopefully, we can all learn something from it and avoid repeating some of the same mistakes.

Teresa Parks

Feb 18, 2001
>Personally, I don't think any interest of mine >in history is due to some past life connection >with any events. It's simply a desire on my part >to know where we've been and why. Hopefully, we >can all learn something from it and avoid >repeating some of the same mistakes.

Again let me stress, I'm interested in Titanic because it's titanic and it's fascinating - I'm not interested in it for past lives or paranormal reasons . . . . .I just think it was fun & interesting that because I do enjoy the haunting stuff that that comment is so provoking & entertaining. While Titanic is tragic & I do take it seriously . . .I just enjoyed the thought of that comment & thought I would share it so all of you could enjoy it too. Please don't think I'm trying to make light of it all - I'm not. Just obsessively interested - in all aspects.

Status
Not open for further replies.