i think that tianic 1997 is a great movie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 13, 2000
hi i would like to say that james cameron did a wonderful job with making this movie and i think its a shame that leonardo decaprio didnt get nominated for an oscar for his role as jack and i also think that the person who played benjiman guggenheim was too old but thats my opinion thanks jennifer mueller

E

Elaine Barnes

I, too, thought Mr. Cameron's movie was good in the area of special effects. Obviously, Mr. Cameron's use of fictional characters confused MANY people, who continue to look for the characters among passanger lists. I think the movie would have made a greater impact on viewers without resorting to fictional characters. I feel the REAL people aboard the Titanic were far more interesting, ie, the Astor scandal, Mr. Guggenheim traveling with his mistress, Dorothy Gibson,etc, etc. I did think the dives down to Titanic were well-done.

Elaine Barnes

C

Cátia Lamy

I also believe that James Cameron's Titanic is really good but only if we're not trying to learn more about the disaster because in fact that are many mistakes on the movie. But anyway, it is great. About the movie characters that Elaine Barnes said that should be real instead of fictional I believe that use the names od real people would need the permission of themselfs if alive or of their relatives.
And maybe make this history of love (which is the real main subject on the movie with the disaster of Titanic as background)with real passengers (or crew!) of the Titanic would also confused people as they might think that it really happened.

I hope that what I wrote is understandable!
Katia Lamy

Dec 12, 1999
I enjoyed the engine room scenes the most. However, they apparently aren't very original. I just found out that the huge rocker arm assembly (or whatever it is) shown in Titanic is shot from the World War II Liberty ship, S.S. Jeremiah O'Brien, which is presently docked in San Francisco, near the Fisherman's wharf. Does anyone know who the First Class lady was that wanted Lightoller to "hold the boat" so she could go back to her room? Lightoller picked her up and put her in the boat.

K

Kate Brett

Despite the arguable inacuracies in James Camerons movie I truly think that ti is the best movie in the entire world. Not only does it bring the Titanic back to life in her full (former) glory but the fictional side is well written and heart wrenching.
I hope Cameron continues to produce such high calibre material in the future!!

E

Erica Monty

I was impressesed with how well the movie was made and how Mr. Cameron did his best to make even the dishes the same as they were on the real boat. I think that so far this movie has been the best one made, BUT when I say that I mean it in the terms of special effects and the acting etc. etc. I think the screen play itself was very unrealistic and I agree with Elaine when she says they should have used real people. But as Katy said about having to get permisson etc. we do not know what kind of obsicals they came up againts when they made the movie.
Sorry about my spelling I was in a hurry.

P

Paula Crighton

Hello I like this version of titanic very much, I was wondering If the woman with the two children in the film, is based on real passengers or are they fictional for the movie? Also ID like to say I also enjoyed Hallmarks Titanic very much the acting is very good, and I like george C. Scott as Captain Smith, I also thought the gentlemen who portrayed Bruce Ismay did a very good job. I own all of the titanic movies and I watch them Quite frequently. If you have not seen Hallmarks Titanic, do so Quickly you wont be dissapointed. Love Paula

N

Nige

Hi Paula !
Please dont think that Im jumping on you here, but I must take issue with you on the Hall marks Titanic being a good film.

I have never seen a Titanic movie with as many innaccuracies as this one has !
I just wish I could remember what they all were, but I know when I watched the British premier of it, about 3 years ago, I stopped counting at 27!!!

The one that does stick in my mind is that Thomas Andrews didnt appear in it ANYWHERE!! Just after the Iceburg collision, they had George C Scott as Captain Smith, doing all the dialogue that actually went on with Andrews, as a conversation between him and JB Ismay !!!

The phrase that summed it up for me was DANGEROUS DRIVEL.

Dangerous because people who may not be all that familiar with the facts of the Titanic Legend, might see this rubbish and assume it is correct!
Again - please dont think I am having a go at you Paula, I'm not. But I really think this movie should be Banned under the Dangerous drugs laws !!! (((Brainwashing effects!!!)))

And now on a totally different subject.....

A NOTE FOR JOE SHOMI - RE YOUR ENGINE ROOM QUESTIONS ABOVE.

Did you see the Titanic movie tour? If not they had the model of the engine room that was used in the film, on display there. It was pretty impressive, about 3 feet tall, 3 feet wide and 5 feet long, if you looked at it from the "Gable" end of the reciprocating engines. It is this model that you see, when you see nearly all of the shots where there are people walking about on the gratings and catwalks etc. The people are real and were walking about on full sized catwalks, but all the engines that you see were "green screened" in later. I saw the model when I went down to London for the tour. It was a beautiful piece of work.

But as you correctly state, the shots of the crank shafts and bearings are those from the Jeremiah O' Brian.

If anyone can get hold of it, I really do strongly reccomend you look at a magazine/booklet called CINEFEX. It's a bit like a movie makers industry journal but deals with big films every so often. The DECEMBER 1997 issue, VOL 72 deals entirely with Camerons Titanic, and is an absolute mine of information. It's very scarce in the UK, I was recently offered £45-00 for my copy!! But I think you should be able to get back issues of it in the States. I can supply Publisher details etc if required, just email me.

Nige

P

Paula Crighton

Dear Nige, Thank you for responding to my comment, I do agree with you about Thomas Andrews I definitely believe he should have been featured in the movie he plays a very important part in titanics legacy, you are also correct about the scene with the captain and Bruce Ismay. They did make a mistake. And I did not like the rape scene at all , it was in very poor taste and should have not been in the movie. I was just merely suggesting, that if you have watched all of the movies countless times as I have, I believe it is worth watcing for a change of pace, I am glad that they featured Carpathia And the Californian As you know , was not shown as much in James Camerons movie. But I love Titanic 97 It is my favorite of all,I love the splendour and grandeur of it all, It really shows Titanic The way it was meant to be, do you agree? Nige I have No hard feelings toward you Everyone has a right to there own opinion. Im glad you told me yours. Paula

Dan Cherry

Dec 14, 1999
Paula,
the thing that irked me the most about the 1996
Titanic mini-series (besides the same things that
made Nige see red) is that the historical
characters narrated their own actions, as if
explaining to the audience why they were saying
the things they were, and the actions they were
taking. The 1997 Titanic movie was better in this
aspect, and stuck to the historical end of it
better than most movies (not including ANTR).
Titanic 1997 is one of the more *visually*
accurate Titanic movie, the sets were the most
accurate of Titanic sets, but ANTR is overall more
historically true. However, it, too, has its
h

Elizabeth

Jan 11, 1998
Hi all!

I loved the movie, it was really good. Even though Billy Zane's character Cal was a jerk, I liked something about him *LOL*
True, many people do think the characters are based on real people. I would've liked if they were. In the movie they didn't show an interracial couple in the background, but there was one, and I thought it would have been wonderful to have the L. Dicaprio and K. Winslet parts played by an interracial couple.
Anyway, I loved the lovestory angle and the special effects where the ships huge propellers are shown going down.
I like the soundtrack too.

W

warda carson

i think titanic is the bast movie i ever saw.kate acted real real real goodin the movie.soas leo but i felt bad for jack.cause he died .i think jack and rose make a grate couple.

W

warda carson

i wanna kiss leonaredo dicaprio.
cause he realy touch my hart in the movie.i mean hes v.v.v.v.v.v.v.v.very good in acting i watch titanic about 80 times now cause its the bast movie i ever saw.leo u did a gread job.so as kate.the mean guy in titanic is realy funny.cause he hates jack for nothing.

Kim

Dec 30, 1997
Hi Wanda, I think they're are many girls and women such as myself who would love to have a man like Jack, he sacrificed everything for her: his own life. I weeped very hard when he died and I felt bad for Rose cause she probably never had a love like that, which only comes once in a lifetime.Kim

K

karen angstadt

I thought Leo did a great acting job too. The best scene is when they both try to climb on that piece of debris and it capsizes. Jack helps her climb back on and you can see in his face that he's accepted the fact that he is going to die. It was a very moving scene. Karen

B

Bill DeSena

Jack that little ladder climbing oppurtunist had nothing to lose as he said himself, while poor Cal was truly in love with that brazen hussie! Jack should have been dropped in the brig for using somebody else's ticket anyway, what's wrong with the crew anyway, their reading tickets as bad as their ability to see icebergs! Rose was still a b#4%56^h after 80+ years she could have given the diamond to the salvage guy rather than dropping it in the sea! All I can say is Jack and Rose deserve each other and I say that everytime I watch the movie which is now around 3 dozen times;-)
Just kiddin.
Bill

Becky

Dec 30, 1997
Camerons Titanic was visually spectacular but beyond that two thirds of the movie was drivel.The story of Titanic needed no made up story.A Night To Remember is the best Titanic movie I have seen.

R

Rob Harris

I will agree on the opionion that, while Cameron's "Titanic" was indeed an amazing movie, "A Night To Remember" isn't to be missed. It was almost a flawless adaptation on Walter Lord's book of the same name. Kenneth Moore, who plays 2nd Officer Lightoller, does an incredible job.

A

Andra

Hello, I read this on the Nitpickers website ,they claimed that old Rose has blue eyes and young Rose has green Eyes, what color are Kates eyes? I believe they are blue, And perhaps they just appear green because of the different lighting in the scenes of the movie. Thanks Andra

Status
Not open for further replies.