I Think This Makes SENSE does it

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Caroline Chavez

Okay, i remember reading on another thread how a guy mentioned that he wondered how Rose's childhood was like, If Rose had a father, if she did how was he like. ETC. I was thinking. Rose picked Jack over Cal, so maybe Rose's father was somewhat like Jack. Now we look back on Ruth(Rose's mum) And we would never suspect Ruth have gotten with a guy like Jack. But we don't know that. I once herd that the people we usally marry are a little simaler to one of our parents. (does that make sense?)lol) But yeh, i was thinking Rose's father was maybe like Jack, can it be true? Rose was a very mysteriouse character in my opnion. But perhaps Rose's dad was a skiny, non-materialistc man, easy to please, loving, ETC. But wait!! If her dad was like Jack he woudln't have left her Daughter. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH this is to hard to explain my point. Just please cope with it.
-Caroline C :)

N

Nicolas Roughol

Since they were all fictional characters in the first place, I for one do not ask myself so much about characters that did not exist. The real lives of real passengers and crew are far more interesting and easier to research ;)

C

Caroline Chavez

OH DEAR LITTLE BOY NICOLAS. If you had not noticed i am under the JAMES CAMERON "Titanic" MOVIE section. Please don't be so rude, or don't post anything on my thread again.

-Caroline c :)

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Caroline, I don't see that Nicolas posted anything other then his frank opinion. You don't have to like it or hate it, or even acknowladge it.

In any event, please do not presume to tell members what topics they may or may not post to. Since he is a registered member the same as you, he has the same right to post to any topic he takes an interest in...the same as you. This is a public access forum and messages are fair game for any member who takes an interest.

On the matter of Rose's past, as Nicolas indicated, she is a fictional character. Thus anything regarding her past is a matter that's left to the imagination. I personally don't have any feelings about it one way or another. I'm quite happy to study the real history as it's fascinating in it's own right.

But that's just me. Your results may vary.

Jun 4, 2000
Caroline,
Further to Michael's post - it is you who is being rude by SHOUTING at other posters. Please don't do that, it's really not necessary and reflects poorly upon you. See the ET board's Rules for more information.

Thanks,
Fiona

ps My opinion? If anything, I think the fictional Mr DeWitt Bukater (sp?) was probably a lot more like Cal than Jack. Just not as wealthy, given the money troubles of his widow and daughter. Not that I've really thought about this in any detail as, like Nicholas, I'm also a lot more interested in the real people of Titanic.

Nov 9, 2002
Hey,
Hows it goin! Lets all be friends! About the topic, I always kind of imagined in my mind her father dead leaving all the payments behind. That is just what I like to think.

-Sahand

Jul 12, 2003
May I suggest that if anyone is unsure as what someone really is saying, just ask them. We can only read what is being said. We can't hear the tone or see the facial expressions.

Personally, I like the different opinions and ideas and the exchanges and clarifications of things. It makes for interesting and information conversations.

As for the background of Rose, etc. I never gave it much thought. All that was really necessary to the story of the fictional characters was the knowledge of their current position in life. I mean I didn't start thinking about Rose's lineage or anything. I learned what I needed to know in order for the story to make sense.

C

Caroline Chavez

Okay look i'm sorry, i did take it a little offensivly. But thats how i am. I guess i do get ofensive easy and i found it a little rude. Whatever lets get back to discussing my thread.

-Caroline c:)

N

Nicolas Roughol

Caroline,

My post was absolutely not intended to be rude in any way, I just expressed my opinion, sorry if you felt that way ;)

S

Susan Leighton

Caroline,
This is not your thread. Have you read the membership rules as Fiona has suggested? It's a public forum, just because you ask a question does not make it yours. You have asked some good questions, which have sparked some insightful debating, but claiming ownership, and indulging in self-absorbtion, is a good way to lose valuable credibility around here.
-Susan Y. Leighton

C

Caroline Chavez

Okay! Whoops my mistake. I really do not care anymore i admitt it was rong of me and i am sorry, all i can use to apologize right now is my fingers. I just really want to get back to my question on what we all think on Rose's past. I am indeed sorry Nicolas you seem very nice and you will just have to excuse me.

-Caroline c . :)

Jun 8, 2003
"Since they were all fictional characters in the first place, I for one do not ask myself so much about characters that did not exist. The real lives of real passengers and crew are far more interesting and easier to research ;) " Ok fair this is an opinion but no need to be so sarcastic. Everyone has thier own opinion :eek:)

Rose's past: I think her Father had a lot of problems as ruth in the film says "Your father left us nothing but a legacy of bad debts hidden by a bad name". Gambling man most probably.

C

Caroline Chavez

People: To be abslolutly honest i am ashamed to click on this thread i have created. And i should be, i do not know why i got so offensive towards Nicolas. But all my apologizes go to you Nicolas. Anywho Thank you Maria for your opinion and kind responce.
happy.gif

P.S- Thank you everyone and Sorry.

- Caroline CHavez
happy.gif

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
Hi.

Actually, Maria, the quote was "Your father left us nothing but a legacy of bad debts hidden by a good name".
No mention of gambling; just the thought that the Dukater name was supposed to be an impressive one. I would presume that Rose's and Cal's fathers knew each other, probably thinking how wonderful it would have been for their children to marry.

What happened to Ruth, afterwards, is never mentioned.

Anyway, as was stated, these were fictional characters. How much they were inspired by the stories of actual passengers is, IMHO, uncertain.

Anyway, a full and complete telling of some of the stories of the actual passengers would be great: Arthur Peuchen, the Allisons, Nellie Becker and her children, Bertram Dean's family, etc.

S

Susan Leighton

Caroline,
No need to be so hard on yourself. It is a good question. I have seen the movie many times and have some of the same questions as you. I think it has to do with inconsistencies within the script itself that keep us wondering about how these [fictional] people came together. I think it is quite natural to wonder what became of the characters, even if they are fictional...we still became attached to them. I think that might be why there are six "Rocky" movies. Cameron left us 'in-the-dark' regarding these characters, and making up a sequel, or a life for them, can be fun.

M

Mary S. Lynn

Good point, Susan. In the many movie versions of the Titanic, its passengers, and its sinking, there are very few scenes referencing post-Titanic lives - fictional or otherwise. There are plenty of books authenticating survivors' experiences and futures, but no movies. I don't think I'm alone in saying that movies allow us to experience easy and entertaining versions of events, while reading requires significant time and a different combination of concentration and interpretation. I've often wondered if a Titanic sequel revolving around post-Titanic lives (again - fictional or otherwise) would hold an appeal. The special effects factor would be at a minimum, the concentration would have to be focused on just a few personalities, and the draw might be limited to those who have researched in some way. I'd love to see a sequel, too, but I think that we'd feel more comfortable in our attachments, accompanied by our individual fantacization and spectulation, than actually having something portrayed on film that might shatter these attachments.

S

Susan Leighton

..and we must be prepared for the disappointment associated with our fantasy version of the sequel...and one that actually gets made...remember "Scarlett"?
shock.gif

M

Mary S. Lynn

Exactly! Which is why we'll probably never see a sequel. I think most of us are perfectly comfortable in our imaginings of post-Titanic lives, and don't want to see our fantasies shattered by a sequel that wouldn't come close to our expectations! "Scarlett"....yecchh!

Jul 12, 2003
I just took a peek at www.titanicmovie.com and there is a section about the lives of the fictional characters prior to the sailing of the ship...maybe this will give everyone an insight to the characters JC's film creates.

Mar 23, 2003
Deborah, I could not open that file. Can you give me some sort of idea of what was in the file about the fictional characters before they sailed?

Status
Not open for further replies.