Ice seen by passengers and crew DURING SINKING

Ajmal Dar

Jan 5, 2018
Nottingham
Does anyone know if ice of any kind (icebergs or field ice or other types of ice) was seen by passengers or crew while the Titanic was sinking and the lifeboats were rowing away from the ship? I appreciate that ice and icebergs was seen when it became daylight on the 15th but what before that time?
All the best,
Ajmal

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
Yes there are reports about ice and icebergs during the sinking and after it. A few even reported that "the" iceberg was in the background of the sinking ship.
Some boat as boat No. 3 rowed towards north and get close to ice.

Reactions: 1 user

Henry Sincic

Sep 11, 2017
I don't know if "the" iceberg was necessarily seen, because Smith, Murdoch, Boxhall, and Moody couldn't seem to see it immediately after the collision. A large number of people mention that they could hear water lapping against ice, when in the lifeboats.

Ioannis,

I might be wrong here (It wouldn't be the first time), but wasn't Boat 3 rowed a little ways away before someone dropped an oar over the side, and was somewhat hindered because of it?

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
People who saw a iceberg close to the sinking ship said it was "the" iceberg.

Boat No. 3 lost 3 oars. However the boat had in total 10 oars so after the 3 got lost it had 7 left. The were 4 used and the boat was rowing towards a light which was believed to be from a ship when they got close to the ice.