Iceberg picture 2012 link

Jake Peterson

Mar 11, 2012
Iowa, USA
Never have seen that photo before, although it looks like the iceberg photo we've all seen with the red paint on the bottom near the water, from a different angle.

mueller

Apr 1, 2012
I dont know if this is the right place to ask this, but i am going to try. Yesterday it was reported that a photo of the iceberg that hit the titanic is going up for auction. The picture was taken by W. F. Wood ,captain of the ship ss Etonia. My questions are does anyone have anyinfo on Captain Wood and does anyone have any info about the ship? thanks for reading this.

[Moderator's note: This message, originally in a different thread, has been moved to this discussion of the same photo. MAB]

Adam Went

Apr 28, 2003
I don't see any red streak of paint on this iceberg? Do I need my glasses, is it another iceberg or just the wrong angle?

Cheers,
Adam.

Adam Went

Apr 28, 2003
Hi Jake,

Yes I think it could be - it does look quite similar in its shape to what I remember of the one with the red streak on the waterline, but then I suppose a lot of icebergs look very similar! Would also be interesting to know when this photo was taken as opposed to the other one....

Cheers,
Adam.

Jake Peterson

Mar 11, 2012
Iowa, USA
Huh. I don't see my link on the post. Has it been taken down? I don't mind if it as, if there was a copyright issue. I just didn't get notified about it...

edit: looking at the picture again, does look sort of like the rock of Gibraltar, with the middle area curving inward.

Adam Went

Apr 28, 2003
Just adding to the earlier comments, without the streak of paint being visible and with so many icebergs being in the area the Titanic sank, it would be difficult to prove that this is a genuine photo unless it was authenticated somehow. Otherwise it could just be any old iceberg getting flogged off as the one that sank the Titanic!!

Cheers,
Adam.

mueller

Apr 1, 2012
Adam the iceberg in the photo taken by captin Wood was proved to be the one based on drawings made by two Titanic crew members who saw the iceberg itself, and by titanic artifact collector stanley leher Another reason why it is the one is that the location of where the photo was taken is not far from where the titanic sank. It was taken just two days prior to the sinking I hope this info helpsanswers your question about the authenticity of the photo abc news has an article heres the link : Photo of Iceberg That Sank the Titanic Up for Sale - ABC News.

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
I think there are now about 8 different icebergs which have been claimed to be the one which sunk the Titanic.
The best candidate is the one which was photographed from the Liner Bremen and had been compared with drawings from survivors.

The one photographed from the Etonian did not really match with those drawings, also by the time Titanic struck her iceberg, this one was more to the south of her (good chance that it was seen by the Carpathia).

Jim Currie

Apr 16, 2008
Funchal. Madeira
Hello Ioannis et al!

There has been a great deal of silly speculation about the iceberg. In fact there is plenty of evidence pointing to one particular berg and it was actually quite small. It was the one seen by Boxhall and his boat crew on the way to Carpathia that morning. And the one Carpathia had to sweve to avoid to get to Boxhall.
Think about it! It was the only one in the immediate vicinity.

Boxhall left the sinking Titanic and headed North East for half a mile. Titanic hit the iceberg and continued on for about half to three quarters a mile. it follows that Boxhall must have stopped at a point North west of the iceberg that did the damage. Since icebergs don't have engines and Boxhall didn't move until he saw Carpathia, it follows that his boat would remain within about half a mile of the berg. Here's a little sketch to show what I mean. It's to scale.
Carpathia swerves..JPG

The story about a Gibraltar-like berg came from among other sources, AB Scarrott. However he described it as being like Gibraltar from Europa point, with a high and a low side. If any of you have ever seen Gibraltar from Europa point, you will know that it does not look like any of the drawings made from survivor accounts and most certainly does not look like the one in the picture taken by Captain Woods.
I wouldn't spend a penny on that one!

Jim C.

Carpathia swerves..JPG

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
Hello Ioannis et al!

There has been a great deal of silly speculation about the iceberg. In fact there is plenty of evidence pointing to one particular berg and it was actually quite small. It was the one seen by Boxhall and his boat crew on the way to Carpathia that morning. And the one Carpathia had to sweve to avoid to get to Boxhall.
Think about it! It was the only one in the immediate vicinity.
Hi Jim,

I am not sure if Boxhall really met that fatal one or another. Other boats had also to avoid icebergs which were directly on their way to Carpathia. There exist also a photo taken from Carpathia showing an iceberg (a large "flat" one) and some boats on the left and right on it. Sadly, I have not come across a good copy of it.

The story about a Gibraltar-like berg came from among other sources, AB Scarrott. However he described it as being like Gibraltar from Europa point, with a high and a low side. If any of you have ever seen Gibraltar from Europa point, you will know that it does not look like any of the drawings made from survivor accounts and most certainly does not look like the one in the picture taken by Captain Woods.
I wouldn't spend a penny on that one!
There are several others who compare it with the Rock of Gibraltar. But it is unknown if they were meaning all the same one or another. There is also a drawing made by Carpathia passenger Skidmore of the icefield and the boats arriving, among them the iceberg which is the one photographed from the Bremen.
[Now if it really was that berg that struck Titanic, who knows.]
Regarding the iceberg photographed by Captain Woods of the Etonian, you are absolutely right!