Idea For New Titanic Film

James Hill

Feb 20, 2002
My idea would be a film about the search for Titanic.Not like Grimms film but like Ballards search for it.What do you think ? Sounds a bit silly doesent it.

Jul 11, 2001
Why not a sequel to Cameron's Titanic?

It could start with the Californian getting the famous brush off from Titanic. From there it goes on to the Carpathia getting the distress call and the rescue. The story continues from the point of them picking up the lifeboats. Same cast of survivors. The story can focus on Ismay and the attempts to get back England. The fictional character Cal can be shown getting on his private train back to Philly. Molly Brown being interviewed in New York, the Duff Gordons' being harrassed by the NY Press, Rose penniless, getting help from the salvation army and heading out to California to become an actress. After showing the Senate hearings, they could end the film with Ismay getting on the ship home along with Violet Jessop and Rose's mother. Violet being told by Ismay "not to worry, I'l make sure you work on our next Ship the Gigantic". Rose's Mother could be shown trying to find a wealthy husband while mingling with the passengers boarding.

During the film, they could flash to England where some of the family's were asked for payment for uniforms or told their son was drowned and here is his "half-pay". They could show Macys' being closed as the employees mourned the Strausses. There are plenty of factual happenings of general interest that would wrap up the event for those who saw the first film.

Wesley Burton

Apr 22, 2004
I have thought about a movie about Ballard's expedition to find Titanic. I think it can be entertaining. Seeing as I love watching 'secrets of the titanic' over and over.

Apr 11, 2001
Great ideas one and all. I have always liked the idea of fate and coincidence putting people in the situations. The opening sequence of how Jack and Fabrizio come to be on Titanic as a result of a lucky hand of cards is captivating. A long time ago I read a novel about 5 people who came to be on a certain bridge, and the circumstances of Fate which changed their lives. A good film might be made, sampling all three classes from Titanic, and maybe one story from the crew, of how they came to be where they ended up on the historic night to remember. I want to say that novel was The Bridge at Toko-Rey or something like that. But I may be mixing that title up with the WWII flick with William Holden and Grace Kelly!

Apr 11, 2001
Just remembered the title- The Bridge at San Luis Rey, set in 18th century Peru. The bridge collapses and the sad narrative tells the story of each of the five people who die on the bridge and how they came together on the fateful day- chilling stuff.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
To be precise, the Bridge of San Luis Rey, by Thornton Wilder. On a more nautical theme, the classic 1942 film In Which we Serve employs the same 'flashback' structure to tell the stories of a variety of crewmen (survivors and victims) involved in the sinking of a destroyer, and it which works very well.

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
The Bridge of San Luis Rey concludes with one of my favourite passages in literature:

quote:

But soon we will die, and all memories of those five will have left earth, and we ourselves shall be loved for a while and forgotten. But the love will have been enough; all those impulses of love return to the love that made them. Even memory is not necessary for love. There is a land of the living and a land of the dead, and the bridge is love. The only survival, the only meaning.
A friend I shared some of James Moody's letters with once came up with what I thought was a tremendous idea for a script. Moody cycled out to Netley Abbey with a friend from the Oceanic to take tea with someone - he doesn't identify who, but it was possibly Charles Lightoller. On the way back, he was caught in the rain. My friend proposed that would make a great opening sequence - if the officer that accompanied him was Pitman, Lightoller could be shown with his family around him, talking about his transfer to the Titanic. Then Moody would be caught in the ominous shower of rain as he returned to Southampton (nice establishing shot of Southampton in March 1912, with the ships laid up because of the coal strike), and shortly after his return to the Oceanic he learns that he, too, was to be transferred to the Titanic. Then range of characters and their stories - Wilde's recent tragedies, Lowe as the odd man out, etc etc. They would interact with different classes and situations on board, before and after the disaster. Ted Dowding, Clear Cameron's nephew, thought that a movie along these lines a rather good idea - using these men as an entry point into the story.​