Identify a fourstack liner

Tim Zukas

Nov 29, 2004
Dunno if it's possible to say which liner this is-- go to www.corbis.com and search for UB1081DINP. It's a view of New York harbor (taken from the Singer Building no doubt) sometime around WWI. (The pic is backwards.) The Britannic never crossed the Atlantic, did it? So are there only five possibilities, the three Cunards and the Olympic and France? The only other four-stack liner that visited NY was the Deutschland and with the evenly-spaced stacks it can't be them?

Eric Longo

Aug 13, 2004
Hi,
That is actually Lusitania on the morning of her maiden arrival, September 13th, 1907. There are several well known images that are almost identical to this one. There are also some of Mauretania from this vantage but this vessel lacks cowl vents - and it matches the known images quite well as far as small craft and other visual clues. I have a scan of an image taken right after this one.

Best,
Eric Longo

ash briers

May 1, 2008
i would say its the mauretania, because if you look at the bow you notice the length of the raised wall or whatever it was called, you can see what i mean from the picture

Eric Longo

Aug 13, 2004
Hi,

It is such a small scan you could well be right, but in looking again I notice the top of the house seems to painted dark - on the Mauretania it was white. I can't make out much else.
The photo you posted of the Mauretania - nice Davidson Brothers image from her trials. That is the Cloch Lighthouse on the right so it is November 6, 1907 if memory serves. The Lusitania image looks like September 13th - where did you get it?

Best,
Eric Longo

ash briers

May 1, 2008
although now i look at it the mauretania had a pyramidical roof between the 3rd and 4th funnels but this clearly shows the low sort that the lusitania had, and the bulwark on the bow, because of the size of the image the bulwark may be blended with the cranes of the bow, but that roof clearly shows this up as lusitania

Eric Longo

Aug 13, 2004
Hi Ash,

Been a while! Indeed, it is the Lusitania on September 13th, 1907. One of the photographs I mentioned, taken at about the same time which allow the correlation of tugs and other vessels, can be seen on pages 22-23 of Exploring the Lusitania by Robert Ballard with Spence Dunmore.

Here is a link to a low quality scan of the same image from wiredny.com. There is enough to make out the small craft in the Corbis image as well as other matching details.

Best wishes,
Eric

Jan 29, 2001
Eric & Ash - As a matter of fact, many years ago I traded to Eric Sauder a nearly identical real-photo postcard of the same image. The card was preserved in really fine condition. I felt that it was a more approriate *home* for the card in Eric's wonderful collection of Lusitania...

Michael Cundiff
NV, USA