Identifying crew in photos

Michael Hinz

Apr 24, 2020
Germany
What do you think about Harry Senior for #31? In the stair photo his prominet chin is not visible. I am not sure. It's not very convincing.
1592322106391.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Gaston Sam

Aug 16, 2016
That's a good guess. Still I believe #31 is more likely to be leading fireman Thomas Threlfall, aged 44 and I estimate was 5'8" in height (based on another photograph in which he is standing next to McGough who was 5'5").
As #31 is next to Frank Port who was himself 5' 7½", it can be inferred that #31 is about 5'8"; besides, it seems his features match to Threlfall's good enough.
Is he Threlfall.png

Michael Hinz

Apr 24, 2020
Germany
So now, proceeding with the two ABs:
#3 features are clearer than the other, still I was debating between Thomas Jones and Walter Brice.

View attachment 48901
In favour of Jones, they are both wearing the same clothes (a plain dark guernsey and an overcoat). The other version of the stair photograph even shows #3 with an expression that quite resembles that of Jones. The only doubt would is on #3's moustache style, which seems to be different. That difference is not noticeable on the other stair photo though(!).

View attachment 48900
Walter Brice features are a good match too, and he also wears the same moustache style of #3 (thanks to Ioannis Georgiou for Brice's photo).

So what else? I think #3's cheekbones match better to Jones' ones. Then, let's examine their height. Jones was 5' 1" and Brice 5' 6". If #3 is Jones then AB #2's height would be near 5'6" and Walter Fredericks (5'8½") would have to be one step higher (and he seems to be indeed).

If #3 is Brice, then AB #2 would necessarily have to be one step higher (and stand about 5'8") or he would be taller than any AB actually was. On the same level with Fredericks, AB #2 would be 5'6", but one step down (which would mean #1, #2 and #3 are on three different steps) and #2 would be about 5'10" (being Joseph Bailey the only one that tall).

Then we better take a look at #2. He's got a particular countenance but doesn't really look like any familiar AB. After some examination the only one I would suggest is William Weller (aged 30, 5' 6¼"). And still it isn't very convincing.
View attachment 48899
The othe possibility is that #2 was an AB with no photo. AB John Anderson (aged 40) was 5' 7" and had a moustache as #2 seems to have. Storekeeper John Foley was 5' 6". And stop counting.

Clifford Weller doesn't seem very convincing, which is mainly due to the special cheeks of #2. In fact, in a later photo Weller has those cheeks. Do we know from when Wellers studio photograph in uniform is? Was it taken before or after 1912?
1592506241503.png

Michael Hinz

Apr 24, 2020
Germany
I'd say between 25 and 32
Then it could be Frederick Scott (28 years). Other firemen and trimmers without known photographs are:

Frederick Harris (39 years)
Charles Othen (36 years)
Harry Oliver (41 years)
John Haggan (35 years)
Henry Sparkman (36 years)
Edward Flaherty (52 years)

James McGann (29 years) was hospitalized after his rescue so he is probably not in the picture.

Last edited:

Gaston Sam

Aug 16, 2016
Do you think #35 could be a steward? The single golden button at his jacket caught my attention. And how tall could this man be?
#35 is definitely a stoker. Note the neckerchief he's wearing, it was used by men working in boiler rooms to soak up sweat and clean soot on themselves.
I judge #35 to be about 5' 5½" tall.

Reactions: 1 users

Gaston Sam

Aug 16, 2016
From the unknown firemen and trimmers, I've judged the oldest one (i.e. Edward Flaherty) could probably be this one:

Is he Flarty.png

Paul Burrell

Dec 23, 2017
From the unknown firemen and trimmers, I've judged the oldest one (i.e. Edward Flaherty) could probably be this one:

View attachment 48980

I agree with Flaherty and have also been cross referencing the same photo and it has been helpful.

Excuse my primitive use of IT but for me this is progress!

1- Couper and Pearce are sat next to each other.

2 - Flaherty is sitting next to a chap who I think is #8 on the stairs photo. This view of #8 might help us get an ID for him. At the end of this row could be James Crimmins.

3 - An AB is sitting apart from his colleagues. Hemming, perhaps?
1592638192307.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users

Gaston Sam

Aug 16, 2016
Hi Paul. Regarding the young fellow next to our hypothetical Flaherty, I've always thought it was fireman George Kemish.
Is he Kemish.png

Honestly, I haven't linked him to #8 guy as the latter lacks that jacket the other has, but they do look similar.

Michael Hinz

Apr 24, 2020
Germany
I agree with Flaherty and have also been cross referencing the same photo and it has been helpful.

Excuse my primitive use of IT but for me this is progress!

1- Couper and Pearce are sat next to each other.

2 - Flaherty is sitting next to a chap who I think is #8 on the stairs photo. This view of #8 might help us get an ID for him. At the end of this row could be James Crimmins.

3 - An AB is sitting apart from his colleagues. Hemming, perhaps?
View attachment 48985
Good observation, Paul!

Gaston Sam

Aug 16, 2016
Regarding the solitary AB, I don't really think he's Hemming. It would be noticeable if it was him given his very short stature. But I do think it is quite possible that man could be AB #2 in the stairs photo.
So if that was the case, he wouldn't be Weller, as the man seems to have less hair than what Weller would have had by that time. So, maybe Anderson? It is also possible he's window cleaner William Harder (aged 39), and in that case it wouldn't surprise me he was sitting appart from the rest of the Deck Crew.

Is he Harder.png

Is he Harder 2.png