Identifying the victims

Allan Clarke

Sep 17, 2006
I have had some correspondence from a friend in Nova Scotia which is of some interest. Three families wanted to have the names of their presumed ancestors inscribed on the headstones. Since there was no positive identification of these Titanic victims, a palaeo-DNA project was undertaken to determine if the remains could be conclusively identified. As it turned out, in two of these cases, the soil and drainage conditions in the Fairview Lawn Cemetery allowed the bodies to decompose to the point that no DNA samples could be taken. The third body was that of the unidentified child who was presumed to be about two years of age in 1912 and was thought to be Gosta Palsson. Enough teeth were found to determine that the child was less than one year of age and that he was not the Swedish boy. However, the DNA test is still going ahead to ensure accurate and verified results.
Allan

Hilda Jaschke

Apr 22, 2003
hello,just came across your post.I just read an article about this DNA and the little boy. Was it for certin that this little boy was not of this swedish family?

May 8, 2001
Hilda. A while back we had a forensic expert on board named Tracy Oost that was involved in this. She had fascinating insite on the procedure, that is archived here on the board, but I haven't heard from her in a while. Maybe if she is lurking, she could catch this post and write. (Hope...)
Colleen

Hilda Jaschke

Apr 22, 2003
Colleen,thanks for the info! I hope we find out more on this particular subject.I really find it quite interesting.My mom is into Geneolgy and found out about this on one of her Geneolgy message boards,but it was narrowed down to 3 set of families that could possibly be a dna match and my mom's family might be one of those families! Which I think could be so awesome!

May 8, 2001
Hilda. Yes, it would be a great closure to some of the families who are searching for answers. You are possibly a descendant of a Titanic survivor? Any way of introducing yourself and letting us know who you are related to?
Good luck to you and the family, tell your mom to stop by as well, and welcome aboard!
Colleen

Hilda Jaschke

Apr 22, 2003
Colleen,this relation is on my mom's dad's side.Under the name Goodwin.There was a Goodwin family in 3rd class.I haven't done much research myself,I don't have the time but my mom is doing the Geneolgy on both her parents side.She came across the article on one of her Geneolgy message boards for the Goodwins.I believe that they still plan to test the DNA of the Goodwins to compare to the childs DNA! Should be interesting.I'll let you all know what we hear!

Allan Clarke

Sep 17, 2006
Hello. The Pallson boy was over two years of age when the Titanic went down. The dental experts involved in the study said the child was under a year old, so it could not have been that poor little fellow.
Allan

May 8, 2001
Ah yes, the Goodwin Family. To me, one of the saddest stories of family loss in the disaster.

Allan. Keep us posted! I haven't heard any more about it recently.

Colleen

May 8, 2001
I heard back from Tracy Oost today. She is tied up with a forensics course she is teaching in Canada at the moment, but told me to pass on the message, for her.
==================== ==================== ==========

It would appear that the age of the child was grossly mis-estimated when he was recovered. I've been asked how this could possibly happen; if it could be because of bloating, or waterlogging, or because the little guy was disfigured in the sinking. The death record had no notations indicating any of these possibilities. The only thing I could think of is that the men involved in the recovery just weren't used to estimating the age of infants/small children. If you think about it, a lot of men in that day didn't have a lot of contact with their own children, except maybe for disiplinary purposes; childrearing was pretty exclusively a female pursuit. Even a lot of guys I know today can't estimate the age of babies very well, where women can.

I guess the big question now is if this is not the Paulson child or the Rice child who are the other possibilities. Any ideas?

==================== ==================== ==========

I wrote to her about your possibility, Hilda. If anyone else has any thoughts, she would appreciate them.

Colleen

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi Colleen,

I'm thinking and I could be totally wrong on this, but what about Gilbert Sigvard Emanuel Danbom? It says in his bio that he was four months old, whereas all the other children in third class are a year or more older.

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

Hilda Jaschke

Apr 22, 2003
Wow,that is great info Colleen! If we hear more on my side I will keep in touch with you all! I can see all the possibilities where the child's age could be misleading! I just hope wew can find out who this little guy belongs to!