Identifying TitanicOlympic images

Status
Not open for further replies.

Allan Clarke

Feb 27, 2002
Hi,
I work with the Provincial Museum of Newfoundland and Labrador. We have in our collection two objects of some interest. They are paintings of the Titanic and Olympic done on mirrors, which are mounted on "star shaped" felt fabric board. They are obverse images of the ship and are identical to a common poster image advertising the Olympic and Titanic. In the poster, smoke is coming from the first funnel and "White Star Line" is in the upper left corner; there is a small sail boat in the picture, obviously to note the size of the vessels. These two mirrored images also have the same information on them as the poster. One says "OLYMPIC." THE LARGEST STEAMER IN THE WORLD, and the other says "TITANIC." THE LARGEST STEAMER IN THE WORLD.

We don't have any information about these artifacts. I have a hunch that they may be part of a promotional package. As I noted, the images and the text are the same as the 1911-12 poster advertising the ships sailing to New York and Boston. It also struck me that the Titanic would not be portrayed in this fashion after the disaster. References to her would always be "In Memorial."

Does anyone know anything about these rather unusual artifacts?

Cheers,
Allan

Allan Clarke

Feb 27, 2002
Hi Again,
Just in passing, I thought you might like to know that our museum owns the life jacket found on the body of First Class Saloon Steward, James McCrady. His body was recovered by a local steamer, the SS Algerine over a month after the Titanic disaster. It has recently been lovingly restored and conserved. I doubt, however, that Mr. McCrady would have given a fig for it. The thing was of little use in sub-freezing waters.

Cheers,
Allan

Status
Not open for further replies.