If the White Star Line was still around, do you think they would ban Titanic movies?

Nov 14, 2005
No they couldn't stop them. Although today there is a lot of censorship going on its done by companies that can pretty much do what they want...Fakebook, Youtube, Twitter ect. But a major studio no. I remember when the "China Syndrome" came out the nuclear power industry was not happy but there was nothing they could do about it.

A

Aaron_2016

On a related note, has there been any fictional disaster movie made in recent years which shows an existing cruise ship or a vessel directly linked to an existing shipping company that is sunk in the film or in some form of danger? If there are none is it because of legal reasons i.e. risk of defamation with or without intent, and libel action etc? I can imagine many shipping companies would prefer to disassociate themselves with disaster films and when approached by a film production they would decline and maybe submit a cease and desist order against the film company.

Dec 23, 2017
Technically "White Star" still exists if you really want to get the details as its "Cunard White Star", but after WW2 the White Star portion was dropped and they rebranded it as Cunard.

And as Mark brought out, its History and as much as some people try to make it, no one owns it. It's the same with Video Games, you cant ban those on subjects like this too.

There will always be more tv movies and documentary about the Ship to come in the future, but as for a full feature length film, i think where decades from that happening again

Kas01

May 24, 2018
On a related note, has there been any fictional disaster movie made in recent years which shows an existing cruise ship or a vessel directly linked to an existing shipping company that is sunk in the film or in some form of danger? If there are none is it because of legal reasons i.e. risk of defamation with or without intent, and libel action etc?

Captain Phillips, though I'm not sure if Maersk directly owned and operated Maersk Alabama at the time of its hijacking.

Dan Kappes

Sep 26, 2018
Apple Valley, Minnesota, United States
On a related note, has there been any fictional disaster movie made in recent years which shows an existing cruise ship or a vessel directly linked to an existing shipping company that is sunk in the film or in some form of danger? If there are none is it because of legal reasons i.e. risk of defamation with or without intent, and libel action etc? I can imagine many shipping companies would prefer to disassociate themselves with disaster films and when approached by a film production they would decline and maybe submit a cease and desist order against the film company.

I've read that even though the 2006 movie Poseidon features a fictional cruise ship, its poster featured a photo of a real cruise ship that was flipped upside down. Director Wolfgang Petersen also used the real cruise ship Queen Mary 2's interior designs for the ballroom sets for the film.

The Blu-Ray cover of the 1972 Poseidon Adventure movie also shows a ship that does not look like the ship in the film (which was based on the Queen Mary), but a ship that looks more like the United States.

Reactions: 1 person