If Titanic sank today

Kyle Naber

Oct 5, 2016
We definitely would have some footage of the sinking from the boats, as well as air footage from a helicopter the next morning.

Mar 22, 2003
Chicago, IL, USA
FLEET: "Hey Reg, you got to get a video of that."
LEE: "What is it Fred?"
FLEET: "I don't know, but it looks like it coming right at us."
LEE: "OK, I've got it, but don't you think we should strike the bell?"
FLEET: "Yeh, good idea."

Reactions: Seumas

Harland Duzen

Jan 14, 2017
To alter the topic a little; but if Titanic sailed today, Imanita Shelley would be posting tweets and photos of her "cell "-like-cabin onto Twitter complaining of her terrible service and causing White Star Line's Twitter account a considerable amount of stress and bad publicity!

Also, image the click-bait articles that would be made:

"THEY CALLED IT A CELL." LADY PAYS £26* FOR TINY FREEZING CABIN ON UNSINKABLE SHIP! :eek:

Overall, it would be safe to say that any slight incovnicence or problem like the smell of paint or slipping on a cake on the Grand Staircase would be made much worse by being posted online.

*Not adjusted for inflation. That would make people today even angrier!

Seumas

Mar 25, 2019
Glasgow, Scotland
To alter the topic a little; but if Titanic sailed today, Imanita Shelley would be posting tweets and photos of her "cell "-like-cabin onto Twitter complaining of her terrible service and causing White Star Line's Twitter account a considerable amount of stress and bad publicity!

Also, image the click-bait articles that would be made:

"THEY CALLED IT A CELL." LADY PAYS £26* FOR TINY FREEZING CABIN ON UNSINKABLE SHIP! :eek:

Overall, it would be safe to say that any slight incovnicence or problem like the smell of paint or slipping on a cake on the Grand Staircase would be made much worse by being posted online.

*Not adjusted for inflation. That would make people today even angrier!
:D

That's definitely a Daily Mail or Daily Express article if ever I saw one.

Meanwhile on "The Secret Purser" blog - the anonymous ship's employee updates his followers on the passengers from hell.

• Haha
Reactions: Harland Duzen

Harland Duzen

Jan 14, 2017
Also I would imagine attempting to go aboard or travel with privacy like the Astors or the Navratil's would have been extremely hard without being spotted and then harassed online with dozens of photos as they tried to walk around onboard. Meanwhile As for those articles:

"RUN AWAY TO SEA: FATHER KIDNAPS BOYS AND TAKES THEM ABOARD ON WORLD'S LARGEST SHIP!" :eek:

Back to Topic!

Rancor

Jun 23, 2017
It would certainly help resolve the ongoing debates of exactly how the ship sank, did it roll to port, where the breakup was and when the lights went out!

We could also only hope that Fred Barrett had the good sense to film the events in boiler room 5 and 6!

Dec 4, 2000
History does not reveal its alternatives. It is quite the same with the future. It does not reveal what lies in tomorrow's headlines.

-- David G. Brown

AlexP

May 23, 2019
Usa
She would not have sank today (meaning April 14, 2019). There are very few icebergs at the place where she sank, practically only one is close enough.
1574747133598.png

Scott Mills

Jul 10, 2008
Indianapolis, Indiana, United States
We definitely would have some footage of the sinking from the boats, as well as air footage from a helicopter the next morning.
Assuming the ship was in range of a helicopter, but yes... hopefully though, given the amount of time Titanic took to founder, linked with GPS, modern life saving equipment, etc. everyone would have made it off of Titanic.

Heck, I would even argue that Titanic would have lasted longer just with the knowledge gained about on board damage control during the First World War; and, if you equipped Titanic with modern damage control equipment, she might not have sank at all.

Actually, now that I think about it, if Titanic were built to modern SOLAS standards, she would have had a double hull which in all likelihood would have meant that the iceberg collision--which in and of itself could have been avoided with radar--would just have resulted in some expensive dry dock time for Titanic.

Olympic,
for example, had her double bottom extended to form a double hull during her refit following Titanic's sinking, and Britannic had a double hull added during construction. Had either ship hit an iceberg in a similar way to Titanic after 1913, neither would have been seriously damaged.

Mike Spooner

Jan 31, 2018
I hate to say it, if Titanic hadn't sunk after a iceberg contact. There would be NO Encyclopeadia Titanica to talk about!