If Titanic sank today

Mike Spooner

Jan 31, 2018
Quite so. However the 1500 who where the unfortunately one to die didn't quit die in vain. As that was the wake up call to make big improve on safety standards for survival. One the main reason why we are here today to tell the stories of the past!

T Gerard

Feb 26, 2019
One thing I did start wondering earlier this year after someone at work came out as transgender. If the Titanic did sink today, how would "women and children first/only" apply to those who identify as transgender?

Kyle Naber

Oct 5, 2016
Is there still even a women and children rule today? I think modern safety standards have made it possible to eliminate such protocols. Those who are part of the LGBT+ community would not have worry about that. That being said, if someone were to claim their gender identity to be different than their physical appearance, it absolutely would not have been honored or taken seriously in 1912.

I think the women and children first rule somewhat stems from the idea of gender superiority and sexism of the times. Of course children are helpless, but women? That’s a different story.

Mike Spooner

Jan 31, 2018
So true about most things. Unfortunately, it seems to take a major disaster to do what needs to be done.
Is climate change going to be the next great disaster? And will it be reversible?
Its not just ships that takes a major disaster to improve safety, it applies to other forms of transport as well. like planes. vehicles, trains and ferries too.
Climate change next great disaster? I see the next great disaster is to came from an over expanding population world. How do we fix that! After all is biology man made. But raw man made materials are a lot easy to fix followed by improved management organisation. Which was the problem with the Titanic rescue. The claim of more lifeboats would safe lives. But reality showed they couldn't cope with 20 lifeboats as there was 470 empty seats!

Nov 14, 2005
Well this thread I started seems to have veered off in a major way. But I'll make one more comment here and play. According to the actaurial tables I have recentley moved into the fourth quarter of my life. So I probably won't live to see it. But for some of the younger members here I would start positioning yourselves for an economic upheaval. Nothings guaranteed but I see that as the next major crisis. Its a cyclical thing but the next one will be brutal. It will make the 1930's look like a tea party. Ok back to Titanic.

Ada

Dec 8, 2018
If a ship like that (say Queen Mary 2) sank today, all its communications with the coastguard would have been leaked within 24 hours.
Also, "Daily Mirror" and "The Sun" would run articles about Astor and Madeleine for several days.

Scott Mills

Jul 10, 2008
Indianapolis, Indiana, United States
Is there still even a women and children rule today? I think modern safety standards have made it possible to eliminate such protocols. Those who are part of the LGBT+ community would not have worry about that. That being said, if someone were to claim their gender identity to be different than their physical appearance, it absolutely would not have been honored or taken seriously in 1912.

I think the women and children first rule somewhat stems from the idea of gender superiority and sexism of the times. Of course children are helpless, but women? That’s a different story.
No. These days, from my understanding, on board cruise ships and ocean liners (QM2) everyone is assigned a lifeboat and walked through the processes of evacuation during the lifeboat drill. So, in an event similar to Titanic everyone would be expected to congregate at their assigned lifeboat and would be loaded on in no particular order.

Actually, I am guessing that anyone with disabilities or needed assistance getting on the life boat would be loaded first--and this would include having small children. So these days you load a life boat on a cruise ship in a manner pretty similar to boarding an airplane. It would be the disabled, and families with children under 8 first. :)

This is the sort of thing made possible by having lifeboats for everyone; however, even if half of the lifeboats could not be launched on a cruise ship because of a list, it would still not be woman and children first I do not think. Maybe preference would be given to children--maybe--but certainly not women.

Reactions: 1 user

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
Moderator's hat on:

Let's steer clear of political stuff, please.

Moderator's hat off.