IF traveling by Titanic Today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have 2 questions please,
#1,In todays $$$$$$$$, If u were to travel on the Titanic,( or another ship very close like her)
#1, DOES anyone have any idea how much it would cost in todays dollars,(either 1st or 2nd class) with THAT type of service recieved on the Titanic???
#2, with all the pictures of the Big T on the bottom, it seems as IF only a LIMITED # of pictures were released, maybe 50 total) any idea how many picts were take by Nat'l Geo, or Ballard, ect & any chance more picts will be released, most titanic sites look like the same picts, befor sail in dry dock, not many pict of or the fields around either bow or stern sect, or insides,THANK U,

I've seen figures before on what the 1912 and 2002 (or whatever year it was) equivilents were. I'm thinking Astor's tkts may have been around a million? I can't remember the source or anything so that may be totally eroneous
happy.gif
I know the tkts would be to much for me to afford, Unless one of you fine gentlemen would like to take me along on the trip!

Hello Amanda,

I seem to remember the Astor's suite costing around $500,000 in today's money. The Baxter's suite was $135,000. At that rate, I would probably be in third class!

Cheers,
happy.gif

-B.W.

If Iain's formula of multiplying by 18 is correct it would mean third class fares started from around the equivalent of £160... fairly comparable to bargain bucket air fare today.

In addition -a stewardess might earn £750 a year, Harold Bride would make £860 and EJ himself would pocket £22,500.
I'll leave you to convert that to dollars!

Steve

Might note that the convertion between dollars and pounds is not the same as today.

I believe it was something like 5 dollars to a pound. I could be way off here though. Please correct me if I am.

and added comment might be, & I think I said "IF', but i doubt if u would get the "service,(almost personal) like that today,but just a thought,

I'm sure if enough people were willing to pay enough money then any level of service would still be available...

For instance there seems to be a new fashion for "Six Star" hotels round the world that offer the sort of service that's probably close to what Titanic's First Class passengers enjoyed - personal servants etc etc... at a price.
The one that's being planned here in the UK will charge, at the very least, £1000 per night - so I can't even imagine what it would cost on a ship with all the extra logistical expense.

Is there an extra shovel down in that coal bunker Colleen? I'd need one too...

John Meeks

Former Member
Steve...

Just a quick note...

If you were prepared to pay a stewardess £750 P.A., in 1912....then my granny would have loved to have worked for you!

As a young Engineering Technician I didn't make that sort of money myself, in England, until 1964!

John M

John...

You're right - those are the MODERN figures ie- the 1912 wage multplied to give a figure of what their pay would be worth today. Someone mentioned a conversion figure earlier in the thread so I was just having a bit of fun. The real 1912 wage of a stewardess was closer to £36 a year.

I really don't know how accurate the adjusted figures are - but they certainly illustrate the huge gulf between the crew's pay and that of the Captain. Smith was paid extremely well for the time (earning twice as much as Captain Rostron, for instance) but I suppose that huge pay disparity between working people and those with any sort of "profession" - was one of the main reasons that
this level of luxury was available to the sort of people who today wouldn't be considered especially rich.

Steve

John Meeks

Former Member
Steve,

As Britney would say, ...."Whoops! I did it again!"

Just re-read your post. Yup! See what you were getting at!

Actually it's so hard, isn't it, to really arrive at comparable numbers for virtually anything over such a timespan.

In truth (..had me calculator out!), the numbers you quote are probably not far off the mark, when you think about it. And, bearing in mind that there was no income tax applied at that time - yes, Capt. Smith did pretty well, didn't he? I suppose it really does go to show that there really has been at least some "levelling" over the years...unless you play basketball, baseball, or make 'rap' records, that is!

Anyone for a quick flip on Concorde?

Regards

John M

At the time there were no fixed charges and the variations in tickets prices within 1st Class were especially large, but very roughly in today's money an adult travelled 3rd Class for about £450, 2nd Class for about £800 and the cheapest 1st Class tickets were about £1700. if you need those prices in modern dollars, you can do online conversions at the current rate here:

http://www.xe.net/ucc/

Status
Not open for further replies.