If you could replace the Queen Mary

Matthew Lips

Mar 8, 2001
Here's a question for you ship lovers. If the Queen Mary vanished overnight for some reason and you could replace her in her permanent berth with any liner of the past, which would you choose?

I guess this is a roundabout way of asking, if you could magically revive any one liner (sunken or scrapped), which one would top your list?

I don't even have a firm answer to my own question. Titanic would obviously be hugely tempting, so would Normandie. Andrea Doria is a possibility, but my final choice would probably be Olympic. Not only was she the first of her kind and beautifully proportioned, but she gave tremendous service in both wartime and peacetime for so long that she deserves to be preserved forever.

Blame Mark Chirnside for this moment of fanciful nonsense - his "Olympic" book convinced me!

Jeremy Lee

Jun 12, 2003
>>Blame Mark Chirnside for this moment of fanciful nonsense - his "Olympic" book convinced me!<< LOL!

I would have the Olympic or the Aquitania anytime, but I think due to the Titanic's widespread 'infamy', I think the Titanic would be the one to draw in the crowds. How many non-ship enthusiasts know who were the Olympic or the Aquitania? For the operators, they would certainly hope for the Titanic!
grin.gif

John Zoppina

Feb 5, 2005
Either Titanic (thought her to be nicer looking than Olympic due to enclosed promenade), Queen Elizabeth, or Normandie.

I'd lean mostly to the QE... because she's a queen. I'd always replace a queen with a queen, if I had to... or better yet... all three!

Now if I was just starting one... Titanic. But that's another story :p

K

Kyle Johnstone

Mauretania.

Queen Mary isn't just an old ship.

She was a record breaker, and the most popular ship of her time.

I think Mauretania may be the only other liner with a decades's long in-service history of record-breaking and popularity.

Lucy Burkhill

Mar 31, 2006
Hi Kyle,

I can see where you're going with this, you are spot on regarding Maury's record and popularity,however, great as it would be to be able to visit her at Long Beach, I don't think I would have wished her to have suffered the same kind of indignities as Queen Mary has, notably the thoughtless destruction of her power plant. Also, if whatever ship was to replace QM was to presumably serve as a hotel, then Mauretania, whose staterooms were considered outdated by the mid 1930's, would, I guess, not really be suitable, and she did not have a purpose-built pool, or other more modern facilities.

What would I replace the Queen Mary with???....

Hmm, I would probably suggest her French rival the Normandie, because of her stylish interiors- like Queen Mary, she epitomises 1930's style, as well as having suitable facilities such as a cinema and swimming pools.

If I had to choose a pre WW1 era liner with period decor...well, maybe Olympic, Aquitania or Berengaria!

B

Brent Holt

Olympic or Mauretania would be at the top of my list.

Brent

K

Kyle Johnstone

Hi Lucy,

Well, I wouldn't want any liner to suffer like Queen Mary has in Long Beach.
I didn't think that was a consideration in the original question.

If it is, as you suggest, then my answer would be...none.

Brian Ahern

Dec 19, 2002
This is a fun topic.

I would feel obligated to go with one of the fabulous superliners. Of those, I think I would choose the Normandie.

But honestly, the ships that interest me the most lately are older liners like the New York and cozier, more modest ships like those of the Atlantic Transport Line (Minnehaha, Mesaba). Though the New York was, of course, a recordbreaker in its day and one of the more obvious precursors to the superliners, IMO.

May 3, 2002
Wellington, New Zealand
"This is a fun topic."
To say nothing of interesting.

I would see the Lusi in New York, Liverpool or Gourock. I would love to tour that with a good camera. I agree that the Queen Mary shouldn't disappear. This is not to dis LA but The Queen Mary is out of context. In New York she would be in time and place.

Of my local ships I would like to see
the Wahine in Wellignton or Lyttleton.

Lucy, The Mauri would be interesting as an "Edwardian" theme Hotel.

Just a thought

cheers

Martin

Eric Longo

Aug 13, 2004
Hi Kyle,

"I think Mauretania may be the only other liner with a decades's long in-service history of record-breaking..." - and often her own records! Look what she did at 22 years of age in response to the new Bremen in '29!
I am with you - better off gone than reduced to some leaky and neglected hotel like the QM shadow.(speaking of my beloved Mauretania anyway).

Best,
Eric

May 3, 2002
Wellington, New Zealand
from what I have heard lately The QM hasn't seen a paintbrush since 2000.
It would help if they actually maintained her. This is still a ship, not just some venture capitalist building.
You can't do that to a ship. A working ship at sea needs constant wok to ensure it stays afloat. I wouldn't like her chances under towage

Martin

Lucy Burkhill

Mar 31, 2006
>>the Mauri would be interesting as an "Edwardian" theme hotel<<

Martin, when her fittings were auctioned off in 1935, there was actually a plan by a group calling itself the "Mauretania Syndicate", to build a hotel in New York called the "Hotel Mauretania" which was to have incorporated several of the 1st class rooms from her, but it never materialised. Now this would have been interesting - something I quite like the idea of, as if it had come to fruition, one would at least have been given the opportunity of being able to stay in a former 1st class stateroom of Mauretania's.

And yes, Eric, I am with you - at least the Old Lady retained her dignity right to the end, she was still regarded with a great deal of affection, and meant a lot to many people at the time of her demise. It's certainly tragic that such a famous and iconic ship as the Queen Mary has not been treated with the respect she so deserves.

Regards,

Lucy

May 3, 2002
Wellington, New Zealand
Hi all,
Lucy, that hotel would be something if it happened.If you hear anything else i would be interested to hear.

Eric, I have worked out what is leaking on the QM in your post and the least that should happen is the ship is dry docked and have her hull fully maintained and treated. Either they can move her or they drain the lagoon and use it as adry dock, and maybe look at that sub's bottom with a view to a dose of the same treatment.. at the very least. Also all upper works could do with a comprhensive prep and paintjob.

In England they are currently doing major work on the Cutty Sark. It would be great to see the Queen Mary restored to her ship condition so she will exist long from now.

Cheers

Martin

Eric Longo

Aug 13, 2004
Hi Martin,

Is she a ship? Isn't she classified as a building now? I believe when her boilers and forward engine room removed her double bottom was filled with solid ballast. I understand she is quite top heavy now and would capsize if her supports were removed. The hotel plans Lucy mentioned re Mauretania were in the works before she was painted white in May/June 1932.

Best,
Eric

Jul 11, 2001
yeah, techincally she is a building now in the eyes of the Long Beach City Officials.

The QE1 may be a bigger ship, but lack the art deco charm of the QM1. She looks impressive from the outside, but hotel guests (and tourists) would be disappointed on her interiors in comparison.

To replace the QM if she disappeared, you'd need a head turner. The Olympic would draw a big crowd as people would flock to see how the Titanic looked and felt inside and out.

Eric Longo

Aug 13, 2004
Hi Martin,
I correct myself - the Mauretania was of course painted white in 1933, not 1932. I was thinking of the date of a photograph of the Mauretania in the floating drydock at Southampton in normal livery and the news clipping pasted to its reverse that discusses the hotel plans Lucy mentioned.

Best,
Eric