If you could save just ONE Titanic victim....

Arun Vajpey

Jul 8, 1999
All other events being exactly the same, if you had the capacity to save just ONE Titanic victim, who would that be and why? Can be passenger or crew.

Oddly enough, my own choice would be Michel Navratil. I am fascinated by the Navratil children's story and cannot help wishing that their father had taken them to America for a new life. I don't know why.

Rob Lawes

Jun 13, 2012
England
My thoughts were Murdoch as well but I'm going to pick the Chief Engineer. I'm fascinated by what went on below decks and hopefully he'd clear up a few questions.

Reactions: 1 users
All other events being exactly the same, if you had the capacity to save just ONE Titanic victim, who would that be and why? Can be passenger or crew.

Oddly enough, my own choice would be Michel Navratil. I am fascinated by the Navratil children's story and cannot help wishing that their father had taken them to America for a new life. I don't know why.

If I should have the possibility to save one person, that would be William M. Murdoch. He fascinated me since I have learned about him and the central part he played in the Titanic's catastrophe. And I would have save him to tell him that he is not responsible for the catastrophe and he has not to feel guilty for it. He had just did what he has been told to do in the same circumstances at the Maritime school.

Feb 9, 2008
ANYWHERE-BUT-HERE
An Engineer not necessarily the Chief but a 2nd or 3rd even a Junior Engineer. I have my own feelings of being so far below the water line, you just don't think about it but knowing you are going down and almost certainly to die not sure I'd have that amount of courage to stay until the end.

Logan Horning

Dec 4, 2018
(I know this is 3 years late, but still)
I would have saved William Murdoch, because of his important, brave role in the evacuation as the ship was sinking. I would be interested to know what his testimony would be at the Senate Inquiry.
Getting slightly out of topic here, and probably making this question more difficult, what if you had to SACRIFICE one of the survivors so that the victim you chose would live? My opinion may surprise you, but I would have sacrificed quartermaster Robert Hichens in exchange for saving Murdoch. Hichens screamed at the passengers, refused to go back to save the other passengers still on the ship, and even refused to go to the Carpathia, saying that they were only picking up the floating corpses.

Arun Vajpey

Jul 8, 1999
Getting slightly out of topic here, and probably making this question more difficult, what if you had to SACRIFICE one of the survivors so that the victim you chose would live? .
That would have been a simple choice for me. Murdoch for Lightoller.

B

Bob_Read

Sounds like there are a lot of people here who feel qualified to play God. FYI that position is already taken.

Reactions: 3 users

Tim Gerard

Feb 26, 2019
If I could save one victim, definitely Thomas Andrews. I'd have loved to be able to read his testimony at the inquiries, and he definitely comes across to me as someone who push hard for changes to make ships safer, not knee-jerk reactions but real changes and real updates to regulations. And it's because of him that I decided to get my bachelors degree in naval architecture myself.

Reactions: 2 users

Sam Brannigan

Dec 20, 2000
Any child to save them from such a terrifying death.

The first adult that comes to mind is Marjorie Collyer's father.

Marjorie was just a child, setting off for an exciting new life in America with her parents. Her dad died and she ended up back in England and was orphaned a few years later. Her whole life was desperately unlucky and sad, and it all stemmed from the Titanic disaster.