If you were there during the sinking...

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
if you arrived at 11:40, after the collision, without immediately making for a lifeboat, or interfering in events, what would you do? (please don't delete this, this is a slightly different question)

Tim Gerard

Feb 26, 2019
Do I have my fully-charged modern day smartphone and a waterproof case for it? If so, I'd take as many pictures as possible around the ship, including of different events such as opening the D-deck shell door on Lightoller's orders, or Major Peuchen climbing down the falls, before trying to get Murdoch to let me escape in one of the aft starboard boats. Or take my chances with Collapsible A after sticking around to see (and take pictures or videos on my phone) if there was actually an incident of an officer shooting a passenger and/or himself.

Reactions: 1 user
May 3, 2005
Would you be taking selfies of yourself with notable persons and officers ?
Would I be a time traveler and could zip back to the present if I got into too much of a jam ?
Otherwise I would take a camera that could take pictures in very dim light and take a lot of pictures.
If it had video and sound capabilities I would be taking a lot of videos, especially of the Marconi Room.
And post them on this forum on this website.
I would hope that this website is not like the Flat Earth Society where pictures are not accepted as evidence.

If I was a 1912 person I would probably be labeled a coward for the rest of my life and I would have probably gotten in the first boat that allowed men.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
haha. Me? I would take my Iphone, an old 6+, but still takes HD pictures, and photograph every. inch. of. her, especially during the sinking. I'd record the lowering of the lifeboats. Probably in the darkness of the Officer's Quarters roof. Get in Collapsible A, and watch her end. return here and post!

Aly Jones

Dec 15, 2019
Australia
I'll make acquaintance with all the officers first. After that, Steal a gun off the officers and Save all the dogs. They won't shoot me dead, because I'm a woman.

William Oakes

Mar 6, 2020
Knowing that my chances of getting in a lifeboat are slim, I would immediately begin to gather up the materials to build a raft. I figure 8 lifebelts, some rope, and a door of of one of the staterooms or cabins and I've got a raft. Find a good piece of wood to use as a paddle, and to protect myself. A length of door trim would probably work fine.
I figure I could accomplish this in 30-45 minutes.
By 12:30, I am over the side with my raft and paddling after the closest lifeboat and requesting to tie on with them.
This is before the major panic has set in.
The key is to work fast, go into complete survival mode and get as far from the ship as quickly as possible.

Nov 14, 2005
I'll make acquaintance with all the officers first. After that, Steal a gun off the officers and Save all the dogs. They won't shoot me dead, because I'm a woman.
This reminds me of a funny line in a movie I like. "There's a rider coming"..."Ok Kill em". "It's a woman"..."Ok wound her"

Last edited:
May 3, 2005
Here Kitty, Kitty, get out of the kennel ! Let's go swimming !
But seriously, though. How long would a dog last in the freezing waters ?

May 3, 2005
Were there any other pets aboard Titanic who either lived or died ?
Such as cats, or others ?
Excuse me...I know this is getting off topic.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2005
Supposedly Jenny the cat jumped ship in Southampton with her kittens. I've never read that anyone reported seeing a cat onboard after that with maybe the exception Of Violet Jessup who wrote about it later. But there are those who question her memoirs accuracy. George Behe read an article about the stoker who saw the cat get off the ship and he followed suit. But I could never find the article he mentioned.

Last edited:

Jim Currie

Apr 16, 2008
NewtonMearns, Glasgow, Scotland.
Mny animals with thick fur have their own built-in survival suit. A Newfy has 2 coats - a thick- wooly undercoat and a dense oily outer one. I once had a dog called Rigel, he was a star. However, my Newfy was called "Winston" on a Sunday, and to strangers but for the rest of the week he was simply "Big Winnie";)

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
Mny animals with thick fur have their own built-in survival suit. A Newfy has 2 coats - a thick- wooly undercoat and a dense oily outer one. I once had a dog called Rigel, he was a star. However, my Newfy was called "Winston" on a Sunday, and to strangers but for the rest of the week he was simply "Big Winnie";)
"Big Winnie" haha. Sounds like an awesome dog! did he shed a lot?

Jim Currie

Apr 16, 2008
"Big Winnie" haha. Sounds like an awesome dog! did he shed a lot?
Here's the big fella himself, Cam:
Big Winston.jpg

Having Christmas dinner .........................Showing-off.

In fact my wife groomed him regularly and collected the underfur to have spun and knitted into a sweater

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

Jim Currie

Apr 16, 2008
awwwww. you have such a good boy, Jim! Congrats on the wife! As for the sweater.... was it comfortable?
Sorry to say the sweater was never knitted. That photograph was taken about 35 years ago and sadly, my wife of 60 years + passed away at the beginning the year. But hey! you were not to know that, lad.
Great dog...pulled a cop diver out of the water and ruined his wet suite. Also ruined a scene in a movie when he tried to rescue an actress who was meant to be in distress in a boat on a small lake. I guess water rescue was in his genes. :D :D :D :D

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
Sorry to say the sweater was never knitted. That photograph was taken about 35 years ago and sadly, my wife of 60 years + passed away at the beginning the year. But hey! you were not to know that, lad.
Great dog...pulled a cop diver out of the water and ruined his wet suite. Also ruined a scene in a movie when he tried to rescue an actress who was meant to be in distress in a boat on a small lake. I guess water rescue was in his genes. :D :D :D :D
I wish I could give you a hug Jim. uhm, anyway, I really appreciate you telling me this. You're a great man. your doggo gave you many things to laugh at haha. I bet he would've saved many people after Titanic went down!!