Immigrants

James Doyle

Jul 30, 2002
I was wondering after the Carpathia arrived in New York, what did the surviving immigrants do? Did they have to be processed through Ellis Island? If so how would they have gotten there from the Cunard Piers? Thanks

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
The US authorities were sympathetic and waived many formalities. They checked all the immigrants on board Carpathia and made sure they were healthy and had somewhere to go to. Some needed help from the various immigration societies, but the big majority had relatives or friends in the US. It was all over by about midnight and the immigrants went on their way.

I might be right in saying that a few were sent back to Europe because they were broke, but others can put you right on that.

Mar 28, 2002
I read somewhere that Eva Hart and her mother were branded an "unacceptable liability" and were sent back to England because all their money went down with Eva's father. However, she denied this when I asked her about it (not very tactful, probably, I was quite young) and went on to say they were treated with the utmost kindness. I don't know if it did happen though.

Cheers,

Boz

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
My understanding is that Eva's father had intended to profit by a boom in the building industry in Canada. With him dead, there was no reason to stay in the US or Canada.

Aug 28, 2005
Responding to James Doyle, I have discovered that of the 179 surviving Third Class Passengers, many of them were processed through Ellis Island on June 18, 1912. This information can be found at www.ellisisland.org
You must sign up for it, its free.

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
Iain, I believe that info is in "Her Name, Titanic" by our second favourite author Pellegrino.

Mar 28, 2002
Paul,

I've since found that it was indeed our 2nd fave bloke of all time (Bruce Forsyth has moved to fave spot).

Christian,

I think you will find that this is an admin error on Ellis Island's part (at the time, I believe), erroneously recording that the survivors arrived in New York "Carpathia - ex-Titanic" on June 18th instead of April 18th. I don't know why though.

Cheers,

Boz

Mar 3, 2010
Have to stop in at Ellis Island, before she came into New York. That must of been upsetting for so many, thinking they were going to arrive in America with there husbands, brothers, sons, etc.

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
See my earlier posting. Carpathia was allowed to skip the Ellis Island formalities.

A group that did run foul of the US authorities was the six Chinese firemen, who were going to join their ship, Annetta. They were held on Carpathia overnight and taken to their ship by boat next day. In 1912, the Chinese Exclusion Act was in force. Otherwise, passengers of all classes were allowed to leave Carpathia at the dock.

As Christian noted earlier, the dates on the Ellis Island records are wrong, for some unknown reason.