Imperator

D

David Colton

Could anyone give me any info or links on the ship Imperator.
I think she was built after Titanic.I don't know much about her.
I also think she was a German ship (maybe Hamburg-American Line).
Thanks,
David.C

D

David Seaman

Hi David...
I did a quick search for you and came up with a few sites.
One site is here
and another one is at good ol' Jeffie Newmans and Mr Babers site here
Hope this helps a little.
David

D

David Colton

Hi David and Teri,
Thanks a lot for the links.I found them all interesting.
I knew the ship was in the same era as the Titanic but I wanted to know more
about it.
Again,thanks
David.C

D

David Seaman

Hi David
Your Welcome...
If you need more info you can go to a search engine and type some details (or ask trustworthy Teri
happy.gif
)
Cheers
David

D

David Seaman

or me too!!!! (except maybe I am not as trustworthy
proud.gif
)

Teri Lynn Milch

Apr 7, 2001
Hey David Seaman!

Okay, so did you personally see Edith Haisman to get your postcard signed? Or did you happen to win a bid on eBay for half a million for the card?

Trustworthy Teri

D

David Seaman

Hi TT...
Thank you for the interest in my card... (i never thought anybody would ever see my profile
happy.gif
)
In Australia in 1997/8 there was a touring Titanic exhibition which was the most beautiful exhibition I had ever been too. In the gift shop they were selling Titanic items ranging from coal, vibration blocks, and postcards signed by survivors (Haisman, Dean, Navratil).
From what I was told the items were helping to raise funds to continue the exhibition touring so I thought it was a good cause.
For any Aussies that went to the exhibition... it is the postcard that was in the centre of the case that had all the birthday cards from Mrs Haismans party were in.
As for $500,000... HA!... I would be happy to have $5 in my pocket(donations gratefully accepted
proud.gif
)
There is another David that I know of who attended Mrs Haismans Birthday and got her to sign 2 menus from the day.
Sorry to ramble on but once you get me started talking about Titanic collecting you can't shut me up
proud.gif

Thanks once again for your interest
Untrustworthy Dave!!!

Teri Lynn Milch

Apr 7, 2001
Dear UD ~

I very often look at people's profiles to see who I'm talking with.{smile}

Thoroughly enjoyed all the "rambling". Hey if you have any photos of this exhibit I'd love to see them and maybe you could post them in the Discovery / Salvage / Exploration / Exhibits area of the Board.

Welcome for the interest!

Teri

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Dave - good to see you here as well as on the TML chat. Was this exhibition perchance the one that had several items loaned by the Lowe family, including the presentation gold watch in recognition of Harold Lowe's actions on the night of the disaster, his service medals, presentation gift from the Comptons etc? I made a trip up to Newcastle to see it after the Lowes told me they'd loaned the items, and was very impressed by what was on display. Everything from the the plaque from Lifeboat 8 presented to the Countess of Rothes to fittings from the Olympic (promenade windows, chairs...)and the Britannic I's wheel.

~ Inger

Jul 10, 2001
Hello David.
This page below is on German but you will find great pictures (all copyright protected).

http://www.lostliners.de/schiffe/i-l/imperator/index.htm

Then click on "Geschichte" (="history") and later on "Bilder-Galerie" (="Picture Gallery")

If you like to get a (crude) translation of this site into English, try this one: http://babelfish.altavista.com

Some people would be surprised that the Titanic was not the biggest ship in 1912. The Imperator was launched on May 23rd 1912. He (In case of the Imporator "she" would be wrong! Even in Germany ships are female. But the steamer Imperator is an exception. This steamer always has been called the male way) was longer as the Titanic and heavier: 277 meters long, 52.000 tons weight.

Apr 11, 2001
That gargantuan eagle on her bow added just enough to make her the longest-although it got its wings clipped soundly in a storm early on -and was removed. "The World is my Scope" was on a ribbon in its talons. Die Welt ist mein campf (Am guessing here- German scholars PLEASE jump right in!) So do we call the Kaiser Wilhelm"him" or "her"-a sticky wicket this!

D

David Colton

Hi all,
Thanks for the link Henning.The pictures are very good.
I was going to ask why an eagle was on the Imperator's bow but
the question has already been answered (thanks Shelley!).
I don't have much luck collecting collectables.The best things that I have
bought are two issues of National Geographic:
Vol 170,No 6,December 1986 (A long last look at Titanic)
Vol 172,No 4,October 1987 (Epilogue for Titanic)

They cost me 50p each at a jumble sale.They both include loads of pictures
of Robert Ballard's dives to the Titanic.I found them very
interesting.
I became a member of the British Titanic Society a couple
of months ago so I'm looking forward to their next convention.
David.C

D

David Seaman

Hello all
happy.gif

Dear TT...
I would love to post some photo's but i will have to see how well they scan up first as most of them came up dark when i got them developed. I saw the "Love of the Sea" with was given to Betty Walker's mother on board Titanic. Such a beautiful item.
Thank you for accepting my rambling, the only other place i get to do it is in the mIRC Titanic room.

Hi Inger...
Good to see you here as well
happy.gif

I all honesty... i cannot remember seeing the items that you mentioned although they could well have been there. I'll check through my fuzzy photos to see. As mentioned... the exhibition was the one that had Betty Walkers mother's chain and safe purse. It as a Movie/ Artifact exhibition that also had many costumes from Cameron's movie. Eva Hart's pocket watch that was recovered was also there. Only 10 items that were recovered were from Titanic, with the majority being from Oly. I remember seeing one of Oly's doors and chairs and a red& white blanket. I'll get back to you soon on it (or talk to you soon in TML)

I also have a question for you Ing (or anyone else that may know)
At the exhibition there was a display case with a lot of white star line china in it. From what I can remember of the description it said that when Titanic was on sea trials it used a lot of china which was later removed after trials had been finished.
The china ended up in a homeless hostel where it was used until mid-1990's, when somebody realised their historical significance.
Can anybody back up this story for me? It has taunted me for 4 years.

Thank you in advance
UD

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
G'day Dave -

From memory, the exhibits focus was on all three sister ships. I do recall a stopped pocketwatch, but thought it was from one of the stewards? (must check those photos!). There were also large banners hanging around the room featuring figures in the disaster (including an incorrectly identified Harold Bride). It did have the 'Love of the Sea' necklace, so perhaps we're thinking of the same exhibit. I do remember some movie items on display.

I should be on the TML chat this Friday - hope to see you there!

~ Inger

D

David Seaman

Hi Inger...
Have been looking through my blurry photos to see if I could read the descriptions of the items and came up with nothing. Here are my conclusions... (this should be interesting)

I think I got confused with a watch and a locket that were at the exhibition. There was a silver locket (whos' I think was Eva Hart's) which was placed near a silver hand mirror which was also hers. The gold pocket watch from what I can tell is not in the same case, which I think is the one you may mean. Sorry for the confusion... If I am still off the track please don't hesitate to put me back on it.

Just quickly... do you remember seeing anything about the "Titanic china"?

Thank you once again. I'll hopefully talk to you on Friday/Staurday

D. Sea

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
G'day Dave -

Sorry, just reread my message. That disjointed fragmentary sentance, 'must check those photos!' reads like a rather rude imperative command to you to check your photos! I was actually talking to myself (as I am wont to do), because I seem to remember photographing some of the items you mentioned and was going to haul them out and have another look at them. My apologies for the phrasing.

I'm afraid I don't recall anything at all about the china - I do remember there were quite a lot of items there, but I was too busy flitting between the Lowe display case and a photo album compiled by one of the Oceanic's officers!

~ Ing

D

David Seaman

Hi Inger...
There is no need to apologise, I knew what you meant (I had a fair bet you would have taken quite a few photos)
proud.gif
I was planning to look at my photos anyway because I hadn't seen them for ages (suprisingly I found them where I thought i had put them).

No worries about the china, will have to do some rummaging to see what I can dig up on that topic.

Talk to you soon
D. Sea

Jul 10, 2001
Hi Shelley

the translation of "The World is my Scope" would mean in German "Die Welt ist mein Bereich". Campf (Kampf) would mean "fight" or "battle"...

Beste Grüße (best regards) Henning