Important 100 Year Anniversaries

Mar 15, 2001
2012 is still quite a bit away for the 100th anniversary of the sinking of the Titanic. However, that had me thinking of other closer 100 year anniversaries of events. Here in North Carolina, December of this year will mark the 100th anniversary of the first flight by the Wright Brothers. Already our state is celebrating with different events and activities leading up to the actual reinactment of that day this December 2003. Next year marks the 100th anniversary of the 1904 Worlds Fair n St. Louis. That fair has always been another interest of mine. I have been to Forest Park in St. Louis where the fair was held and was expecting to see some of the fancy buildings that were once on the grounds of the fair. I soon learned that the buildings where made of cheaply made temporary material. I hope that in the year 2012, the story of the Titanic will be bigger than it was during its zenith years of 1997-1998. Could you imagine a place where every Titanic historian, every Titanic buff, could display his or her Titanic memorablia under one roof? Can anyone think of any other upcoming 100 year anniversaries?

Sep 2, 2009
Darren:

Staying on the Transportation theme:

As a serious automotive buff - I can think of a major 100th anniversary that will happen on June 16, 2003.

On June 16, 1903 an automobile company was incorporated by the "Man who put the world on Wheels" Henry Ford.

This being the third company that Henry Ford founded the "FORD MOTOR COMPANY".

The second company that Henry Ford founded: The Henry Ford Company incorporated on November 30, 1901, is also in business today as a division of General Motors. Ford left this company in 1902 and it was taken over by Henry Leland who after Ford's leaving changed the name of this company to CADILLAC.

Also: Bob Hope the greatest of all American comedian's turned One hundred.

Feb 14, 2011
Strangly enough, 2 years back there was very little activity to honor the 100th anniversary of the assasination of Pres McKinnley...
Likewise, the 100th anniversary of the death of Queen Victoria was reduced to a footnote on the 6 oclock news...

Tarn Stephanos

G

Gavin Murphy

......and don't forget about the 50th anniversary of Queen Elizabeth II's corontation next month.......maybe that will get half a splash!

L

Laura Melinda Varjo

Ok, like seriously, do we know yet where the 100 the Anniversary will be held ? It's almost 2006. Sorry, I am always thinking WAY ahead and fast, it might be early yet, but still. The other thing: what will distinguish the event from the annuals, except for the number 100 ? Just curious. Is it the length ?

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
quote:

do we know yet where the 100 the Anniversary will be held ?
Not that I've heard and there will most likely be more than just one event, although that has not been confirmed. The only major event that is being planned at this time is the memorial crossing, which is discussed in the thread below.

quote:

what will distinguish the event from the annuals, except for the number 100 ? Just curious. Is it the length ?
Yes, I believe it is; due to the fact that it will be a century since the disaster.​

Sam Brannigan

Feb 24, 2007
Okay, we're in to 2007, and the Titanic timeline has come round to 100 years since "it all began".

Does anyone know the exact date of the meeting in 1907 between Ismay and Pirrie in London when the rough plans for the Olympic class were drawn up?

Is it possible this story is apocryphal and that the plans were drawn up in a more formal setting such as Harland and Wolff's offices, rather than over port and cigars in Belgravia?

In any case, it won't be long before the "centenarys" really start to pile up - is anyone keeping tabs!?

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Is it possible this story is apocryphal ...<<

Yes, it's possible. There may have been some sort of meeting but the reality is probably more along the lines of kicking around a few ideas, one of which took on a life of it's own. On the other hand, it may well have gone down more or less as described.

Pavel Chlupac

Mar 31, 2009
Hi all,

today White Star Line (OSNC) would celebrate 140 anniversary. On 6th September 1869 she was officially registered among other ship companies. ;)

Sorry about my English. It isn't good enough.