IMS Europa of 1906

Nov 5, 2006
I recently have been fascinated by a never built German Vessel named "Europa." According to my sources, she was assigned H&W Yard #391, and would have been for the Hamburg Amerika Line. She was mention on page 121 in Mark Chirnside's fantastic RMS "Olympic" Book stating that:

"...[referring to RMS"Ceric"]Assigned 'yard number 391' in place of Hamburg Amerika's cancelled 1906 'Europa'..."

I also found this tidbit on "The Ultimate Imperator:"

"In late 1907, Ballin cancels plans for a 44,000-ton ship to be built by Harland & Wolff of Belfast. He feels that the ship would not be big enough or impressive enough in comparison to the 25-knot 'Mauretania' and soon-to-be 44,000-ton White Star liner, 'Olympic' and 'Titanic'. "

From all of this, it sounds as although we are looking at a German Olympic Class Liner cousin here. The question is: What would she be like? Would she have four funnels like "Kaiserin Auguste Victoria" or three like "Imperator?"

Nov 14, 2007
Just recently, while I was perusing the New York Times online archive for articles about the Mauretania, I stumbled across this interesting article about the proposed Europa from September 29, 1907...

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=9902E0DC103EE033A2575AC2A96F9C946697D6CF

This was the first I'd heard of her, which aroused my curiosity. Obviously she was never built, but why? So I started searching for more information about her, which led me to this July 18, 1908 article, mentioning that the order was cancelled in January of 1908...

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=9B02E7DF123EE233A2575BC1A9619C946997D6CF

The second article is also interesting because its main focus is the announcement of Albert Ballin's retirement from HAPAG in 1908, which, like the construction of the Europa, also didn't materialize.

I wonder how far things progressed in the design and preparation for the construction of the Europa before the order was cancelled. It would certainly be interesting to see the plans if they ever existed. The image that comes to mind would either be something along the lines of the Olympic class but with the paired funnels that were a signature feature of the German four-stackers, or something very similar to the Imperator (minus the figurehead of course, since she would have been undisputed as the largest/longest vessel at that time). Or perhaps she would have simply been a larger version of the Kaiserin Auguste Victoria.

By the way, here's the link to the NY Times archive, a fascinating resource...

http://query.nytimes.com/search/query?srchst=p#top

Articles from before 1920 are free.

Nov 5, 2006
Wow! Thanks!
happy.gif

Anyway, I checked out the backstory on HAPAG's IMS "Amerika," which was built to a similar plan as the "Celtic" Class. She is virtually(well, cosmetically anyway) IDENTICAL to the Celtic and her sisters! I think our good friend "Europa" wouldn't have been much different. I'm assuming that her sister (if there was one to be built), would have been cancelled with the construction of the "Olympic." I mean, what's the fun in having a giant liner, when the competition and you are almost the same size? ;) At that point, I assume the Imperator Trio would have been constructed, and post WWI, I can imagine the United States Line getting "Europa." Hmm...