In loving memory of Michel Navratil

M

Michael Findlay

To all,

I am very sorry to have to break the news that Michel Navratil died this morning at his residence in France. He was 92 years old.

May he rest in peace.

Michael Findlay

Shelley Dziedzic

Shelley Dziedzic

What sad news- but not unexpected. We have so many good memories. I am especially glad we were able to take him to visit his father's grave in Halifax, back in 1996. The last man... hard to believe. Keep us posted on developments, Michael.

F

Filipe Prista Lucas Rodrigues Lopes

Really, really sad
Sad

Michael H. Standart

Michael H. Standart

And then there were four...
Sad

May the Good Lord watch over him, keep him and grant him rest eternal.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Shelley Dziedzic

Shelley Dziedzic

Mr. Navratil was very devout- the last thing we did before visiting his father's gravesite in Halifax was to go to early Sunday morning Mass. The ship's tailor made a vestment for Father Gagner and the Mass was held in the ship's theater( Island Breeze). Then the priest went with us to the Jewish cemetery where his father was mistakenly buried to offer the Roman Catholic prayers for the dead. Michel started to kneel at the gravesite but the stones were so close together he could not. He offered a prayer softly, in French of course- I heard him say Papa- and I am sure the family, today, is together again at last.

M

Mark Bray

I am so sorry to hear this. I have learned so much about him in the past year through making my scrapbook. I am fighting back tears. It is just too hard to believe. First him, and then Millvina. Is Millvina going to recover? I will pray for her, may we all.

Sincerely,

Mark Bray

G

Gilbert Soesbee

Very sad. I find I have few words upon hearing this sad news and little to add to what others have said. May God grant peace to the second of the "Titanic waifs" from whom we have all learned so much.

--Gilbert

T

Thorsten Totzke

I'am verry sorry to hear this. May he rest in peace.

- Thorsten Totzke from Germnany

Laura Jayne Gardner

Laura Jayne Gardner

Hope he's reunited with everyone now. Real shame. Glad he was able to visit his fathers grave eventually.

Laura

S

Senan Molony

A moving post, Shelley, about mumbled prayers at Baron De Hirsch.
"...Priez pour nous, pauvre pecheurs, maintenant et a l'heure de notre mort."
After almost 89 years, Lolo has gone back to his father's arms. RIP.

M

Michael Friedman

How sad. Another link with the past gone.

But what an inspiring example he leaves behind, as someone whose life was defined, not by what he experienced, but by what he made of his life.

It reminds me of the words of the late Marshall Drew (another Titanic survivor who became an educator): "The Titanic was an accident. Teaching was something I did on purpose."