In Nacht und Eis

T

Trent Pheifer

Does anyone know where I can buy the German movie Nacht und Ice? I am taking German in school and would like to see if we could watch it in class.

-Trent

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
Trent, I don't have Nacht und Ice, but I do have the Nazi propaganda film, Titanic. I took German in high school, but I still can't catch all the words. Been too many years I guess. Still, it's watchable.

Kyrila

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
I once sat through a viewing of Nacht und Ice with Senan Molony. Molony was able to provide a running German translation, but soon decided it would be far more entertaining and satisfying to provide his own dialogue for the characters.

Wish I had a transcript of that! It had me on the floor.

I gather you were able to find a copy, Mike?

~ Ing

Mike Herbold

Feb 13, 2001
Hi Inger:
No, I was successful in getting a copy of "In Nacht und Eis" for the French college girl who was doing a discertation, but my duplicate copy never arrived from the German professor who promised it. The only German version I have is the 1943 one.

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
"In Nacht und Eis" - the one I was talking about above - was the 1912 film (running translation I referred to was for the dialogue cards between scenes - obviously it's not a talkie).

Apr 11, 2001
Thanks all- so many movies-so little time... Thorsten, I understand there is a bio out on Sybille Schmitz? - am hunting for a photo of her.
Was she famous in Germany? Any other films we might know?

Nov 26, 2005
Thorsten, can you still find or make copies of this film? If so I'd be willing to pay top dollar if required. Thanks!

Matt.

Nov 26, 2005
Hey all. It's been a few months so I thought I'd post here to see if anyone has any new information as to the whereabouts of this film or if it will ever possibly be released for the public. I am so tired of hunting this movie. I've been at it for about 12 years now! That's probably not much compared to some of the historians running around here. Oh well, never hurts to ask!

Thanks all!

Sep 26, 2009
There are a few scenes of "In Nacht Und Eis" in the television special "Beyond Titanic" which is a bonus feature on the DVD of the Fox 1953 feature "Titanic" with Clifton Webb. Most of the Titanic movies and television shows are featured in clips in "Beyond Titanic." Robert H. Gibbons

Nov 26, 2005
Thank you Robert!

I already have the documentary you suggested though.
happy.gif

I was more wondering if anyone had heard any news as to if or when they (whoever as it in their posession now) plan to make it available for the public. It's the only Titanic movie I haven't seen or don't have. Thanks for trying to help me out though!

Sep 26, 2009
It seems that THS had a guest speaker at their recent get-together who had a DVD or some other multi-media source of "In Nacht Und Eis". They might give you the man's name. Try www.titanic1.org. Good luck! Let us know if you find a source where we can buy it! Robert H. Gibbons

Nov 26, 2005
Hey Robert!

Thanks! I'll see what I can do. They'd probably be a bit more forthcoming if I were a paying member.
happy.gif
But it never hurts to ask! The worst they can do is say NO!!

Thanks again for the info and I'll let you know as soon as I find something out.

Nov 26, 2005
Robert, sorry for getting back to you so late on this.

I got into contact with them and they wrote me back saying that they have it and occasionally show it and that they were surprised that I'm not a member! lol. I really am thinking hard about becoming a member. They wouldn't give any information past that though. And I asked them about a possible release in my first email. I haven't pushed the issue. I will be writing back before too long and will probably get a membership in January so maybe they'll tell me more then.

Nov 26, 2005
Well I finally got my hands on it!

I have to say that I found it very enjoyable. About 35 minutes long. It's great to see a film about Titanic that was shot so soon after the disaster. Just thought I'd bring it up in case anyone wanted to discuss it. I very much enjoyed it and have probably watched it about 3 times now LOL. It's hard to figure out what's going and who's swimming in the water as the ship sinks. *I think it shows the Captain swim up to a lifeboat and pass off a child then swim away and drown/freeze*, but I'm not sure that it's the captain I'm seeing or an officer.

I just took it that they used the myth or possible sighting of Captain Smith supposedly swimming up to a lifeboat and putting a child in then disappearing, which I think was reported by at least 1 survivor...maybe more, I can't remember right now.

I thought they did a pretty good job given the limitations on filmmaking of that day.

Matt.

Nov 26, 2005
Oh...just wanted to add...I LOVED IT!!!!!!! It's something that should be in every Titanic collector's collection. After all, it is the 1st Titanic movie ever made that has yet to be found. I pretty much consider "Saved From The Titanic" a permanent loss as no copies of it seem to exist. But like Nacht Und Eis, it could be found in a vault or attic that hasn't been explored in years to come. I plan to check my grandparents attic. They have a ton of old 8mm that might include 'Saved From The Titanic', but somehow I doubt it. What are the odds? About 1,000,000 to 1? lol. It would be a sensational find for whoever does uncover it...if ever.
happy.gif

Sep 26, 2009
I think I have posted this news item before, but a few years ago, a building was torn down in the Yukon and below the permafrost, in what was the basement of an old movie theatre, old nitrate prints of movies long thought lost to the ravages of time were found intact. Perhaps some day a good print of "Saved From the Titanic" will turn up. Also, the Library of Congress used to keep paper prints made from the original nitrate negatives of films for copyright purposes. That's how Blackhawk Films of Davenport, Iowa got the 1912 newsreels of the Titanic (Really the Olympic, with tugboat names scratched out because they said their names and "New York"). On the Kino DVD of the German Titanic film, there is a print of the 1912 newsreel, and thanks to the magic of single frame advance, I could spot the name "Olympic" on the dock next to the ship when Captain Smith was walking out on the bridge wing. Robert H. Gibbons