In Nacht und Eis

Nov 26, 2005
I wish 'Saved From The Titanic' could be found also. The last T. film I need to complete my collection. I just figure it as a loss so I really don't count it now. I feel like my collection's complete. From what I understand, there really wasn't much to Saved From Titanic anyway. More of a 5-10 minute stage play. Maybe there was more to it and nobody knows it now. I doubt it had the effects of showing the ship sink or flooding rooms, etc. Do you know any more about the film?

Nov 26, 2005
Thank you for that link! I had never read a synopsis on it before, didn't think anyone knew exactly what happens in the film. Nice to know. It would be great to see though. It wouldn't surprise me to see it pop up in somones's attic or shed someday, hopefully sooner than later.
happy.gif

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>It wouldn't surprise me to see it pop up in somones's attic or shed someday,<<

I would be, albit it would be a very pleasant surprise. Those nitrate based films were not renowned for their durability and tended to disintegrate in their cans over time. Finding "Saved From the Titanic" intact or even in part and restorable would be the Holy Grail of Titanic film aficionados.

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
If you can find it, do a search for the British Film Institute's "Missing Believed Lost" book. It details some of the films that have been lost and how some of them have appeared from time to time.

From my own research, I'd be amazed if any private collectors would want to give up something like that, because of its gloat factor, possessing something that no-one else has.

Nov 26, 2005
I guess we really have no way of knowing when the film disappeared and where it was last known to be before it's disappearance. Is this the one that many thought lost in a fire, or was that Night and Ice? I have to recant my earlier statement and agree with you, Mike that more than likely the film would have long since deteriorated into dust. And Paul, I agree with you too that if someone does indeed have it, they're not going to let anyone know or give it up. Nice way of putting it about the "gloat factor". Very true indeed.

Tina Lowery

Feb 5, 2007
I understand that Nacht und Eis ( night and ice ) is to be released this year. Does anyone one know how or where I can get a copy of this?

Thanks! Tina

Mar 5, 2001
No, that is "Titanic" from 1943.

Here we talking about "In Nacht und Eis" from 1912.

Until now i have nothing heard that "In Nacht und Eis" is planned on DVD.

Nov 26, 2005
It's great to hear that Nacht Und Eis will be available on DVD.

It's a great film for movie buffs and Titanic buffs alike. Even though I already own a copy I'll be purchasing this and hopefully it will have have some nice bonus footage.

Sep 26, 2009
The Wikipedia entry for "In Nacht Und Eis" speculates that the ocean liner used in the film was the Kaiserin Augusta Victoria, then docked at Hamburg. I imagine the producers used stock footage of ocean liners, like other producers have done in the past, including William MacQuitty for ANTR, when he used stock footage from the German film "Titanic", and almost half of "Unsinkable Mrs. Brown" on Telephone Time used stock footage from the same source. I recall in the 60s a documentary called "The Twentieth Century" that used the shot of the young boy in uniform and at least one of the dock shots, so either CBS had footage from "In Nacht Und Eis" back then, or they got their stock footage from the same source. Robert H. Gibbons

Mar 5, 2001
That is right.

"Saved from the Titanic" opened on 14th May 1912 and "In Nacht und Eis" opened on 17th August 1912

but...who knows? "Saved from the Titanic" is missing but "In Nacht und Eis" is still available. I have an Copy in my Collection on DVD also i have a Copy of the German Version from "Atlantic" (and also the english version).

The only Movie i miss is "Saved from the Titanic". I have also an german DVD Version from "The Chambermai on the Titanic".

[Moderator's note: This post and the one above it, were in a separate thread, but have been moved to the one which is discussing the same film. JDT]

May 27, 2007
Thoughts of "Nacht Und Eis"
Saw "Nacht Und Eis" (In Night and Ice) on youtube. Pretty good for 1912. I understand why they didn't show the ship sink. You have to take into account that the Producers probably didn't have enough money or footage to show a sinking ship. It would also be considered bad taste back then to show something like that, it's like showing the World Trade Towers collapse today. In fact I wonder if they might of had a scene of the ship sinking that the censors might of cut out? Censorship wasn't yet in full force but it was around. Those actors were like street mimes on speed. Wanted to give them a speeding ticket. Actually back in the silent era, since the cameras weren't motorized if you played the film too fast or cranked the camera too fast or slow you would really mess up your final product which was the finished film.

Nov 26, 2005
I'm not really sure why they didn't show the ship go down except maybe like you said, either budget or morals. Maybe both. I don't really think that budget would have really gotten in the way of sinking that small model. They could have done it. Wouldn't look too hot, but it could have got the message across. I honestly think they didn't show it because A. the focus of the film wasn't the ship itself as much it focused on the people, and B. it was just too soon to show that to theater audiences. Just my thoughts.

May 27, 2007
I'll concur with that Matthew. I think that was a picture actually merged with the water film footage instead of a model. Double exposure of the film maybe. They could of filmed the water and put the picture of Titanic sinking in frame by frame. It all depends if double exposure was in use yet. Its easier to do it that way then frame by frame which is slow and tedious in the extreme. I think Edison might of used double exposure. I'm not for sure. I need to bone up on my early film.

Nov 26, 2005
I'm sorry guys, but I had to take Nacht Und Eis off of youtube since my entire youtube account was hacked by some ass who started writing nasty things to my viewers and some pretty violent arguments were starting to appear on the comments section.

However, Nacht Und Eis will return for more to see. I figure after over a million viewers, if somebody were going to complain about copyright, they would have by now. Plus, in all rights I'm not doing any kind of copyright infringment since the movie was shown on public television in Germany.

That being beside the point, a new version of Nacht Und Eis will be available soon.