In Nacht und Eis

Nov 26, 2005
Hey everyone! I have been looking forever for a the 1912 Titanic film 'En Nacht Und Eis'. I've seen a couple of messages on earlier boards here that have stated that people do have copies of this film...although very few. I was wondering if there was any way for me to get hold of a copy or if anyone knows where a copy might be. I've been looking for this film for over a decade and any help would be most appreciated. Thanks!!!

Matt.

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Hallo Matthew -

My former flatmate, who was Bavarian, had a copy of the film. I believe she was able to get through friends in Germany. I don't know if it has been commercially released - it was shown on TV in Germany, I believe, in the wake of the Cameron movie.

It's certainly interesting watching a near-contemporaneous depiction of the disaster!

Nov 26, 2005
Hey Inger, I know! I've seen several clips of it in other documentaries, but nothing would beat sitting down and watching the whole thing. I just KNOW it's out there, and it's driving me nuts that I can't get my hands on a copy. It hasn't been released commercially, but there are people out there who have it and it'd be my ulitimate Christmas gift to be able to watch that movie.

Nov 26, 2005
Yes Jim I have that website on my favorites. I enjoy it a lot. It has a lot of neat facts about the films. I've seen people on here say they have copies before. On VHS tape recorded. That's fine with me! I just want a copy. I know it's not much in the "epic" standpoint, but for the period-piece that it is, it would be well worth the watch.

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
Tip: it is an american TV production and the title was mentioned a few times earlier.
The picture shows Captain E.J. Smith on the bridge of the Titanic.

Sep 26, 2009
By the quality of the photo, I'm going to guess the Kraft Television Theatre's live broadcast of "A Night to Remember". Robert H. Gibbons

Sep 26, 2009
I have tried to find some frame captures of the aerial shot of the model made for the German film "Titanic" and used in the Kraft version of ANTR and the movie version, too. Also, about half the production of Telephone Time's "Unsinkable Mrs. Brown" was taken from that German footage. Walter Lord told me the Alien Properties office of the government got the film after the war and it was cheaper to get stock footage for these low-budget television productions than to film crowd scenes and model work. Robert H. Gibbons

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
The model is shown on the DVD with the german 1943 movie in a very short "making of". But you can not see really any details. Also the movie A Night To Remember with Kenneth Moore used a few scenes of the German movie. It is the scenes showing Titanic at sea on 14th April during daylight. I remember also seeing a documentary about the Andrea Doria (I think it was History channel) also using a few scenes.

Aug 19, 2008
Whenever I think of Titanic films I always think of "A night to remember".I found "Titanic" with Leonardo & Kate too glitsy & too long.I seem to remember an old black & white film about the Titanic other than "A night to remember" but can't remember the name or the stars in it.Ho hum! Comes with age I guess!!! Well that's my excuse! Kind Regards Rosemary.

Russell Smith

Jun 18, 2009
Rosemary,

You may be thinking of "Titanic", with Clifton Webb, Barbara Stanwyck, Robert Wagner. The plot line: Unhappily married and uncomfortable with life among the British upper crust, Julia Sturges takes her two children and boards the Titanic for America. Her husband Richard also arranges passage on the doomed luxury liner in order to let him have custody of their two children. Their problems soon seem minor when the ship hits an iceberg.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0046435/plotsummary

May 27, 2007
Here's a question for you all. Which film is this scene taken from?

133264.jpg

It's a foreign film. I need the English and foreign title.
happy.gif
Plus the year it was made?

Sep 26, 2009
It's "In Nacht Und Eis" and was made in Germany in 1912, one of the earliest Titanic films. My German says it means in English "Into the Night and Ice". The IMDB title says "Night and Ice". I think it is posted on YouTube. Robert H. Gibbons

Sep 26, 2009
I don't think it used actual film from the Titanic, because we haven't found any real footage other than the short segment in the drydock at the shipyards which actually shows the Titanic's name on the bow. Filmed in the Summer of 1912, "In Nacht Und Eis" was 3 times longer than most silent films of the day. The movie was filmed at Continental Film Studios, in Berlin, with some ship-board filming done onboard the German liner Kaisern Auguste Victoria. Portions of the film can be seen in the documentary "Beyond Titanic", which is on the DVD version of the 1953 Fox film "Titanic". Nine minutes of it can be seen on YouTube at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sntH3u6l_ic

Robert H. Gibbons