Inaccuracies in Andrews' testimony

Nov 13, 2014
Belgium
Thomas Andrews never managed to make a testimony of what he saw on the Titanic, because he died in the sinking. But apparently, he reincarnated as William "Bill" Barnes. Bill has always been haunted by memories of a sinking four-funneled ship and heavily reacted on seeing the 1953 film Titanic or reading ANTR. Now, he wrote a book based on his transcripts from going into regression therapy, which is basically a form of hypnosis to allow a soul from a previous life to tell his / her story. Just by reading chapter 19 (about the iceberg collision and first moments after that), I found several inaccuracies, some even so obvious that the book seems to be based on bad research instead of a testimony of Thomas Andrews.

The first pages of chapter 19 can be found here: https://books.google.com/books?id=iPZbCAAAQBAJ&lpg=PP1&hl=nl&pg=PT134#v=onepage&q
They should be enough to come to the same conclusion.

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
Had a look over the first 3 pages; Complete nonsense!

Funny, "Tommy" did build the ship as how Ismay wanted! :D It was build by the Board of Trade Rules/Specifications.

PITAI

Jul 20, 2013
I can't get through it. It's a worse portrayal than any movie or book I've witnessed. It reads like a C-grade horror novel.

TimTurner

Dec 11, 2012
It is a waste of time and badly researched. The Strauss had their cabin on C Deck, so how did "Tommy" happen to came across there?
Yes, I stopped reading when the man was cut in half by water. I know that steam can do it. I've never tried to cut a man in half with seawater, but I'd use more than 30 or 40 feet of water to do it. More in the neighborhood of 800.

How did Andrews get all the way from his quarters on the aft end of A deck, out of his bath, up a deck, and onto the bridge in the time it took Captain Smith to get out of bed and step onto the bridge in order to hear the initial report Murdoch gave to Smith? This "Andrews" has all the marks of a Mary Sue.

Also, why would one take the word of someone who claimed to be reincarnated at face value, even if one believes in reincarnation?

Nov 13, 2014
Belgium
I came to the conclusion that the link I gave led to a bunkum book. Luckily, this was not the original book based on the testimony. The actual testimony is here: I Built the Titanic : Past-Life Memories of a Master Shipbuilder. Based on the book written from it (the one in my previous post), I don't know if it's worth buying. But if I do, I will hear the actual recording of the regression therapy, which I can compare with what we know. Did anyone already listen to these recordings?

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
I've heard the recordings. Don't waste your time or your money on them, unless you want them merely as a curio. I was interested to hear if Barnes could provide Andrews with an authentic voice. Suffice it to say that the real Andrews would have have had a refined voice with the merest trace (if any) of an Ulster accent. But on the tapes Barnes when regressed to 'Tommy' adopts a broad Hollywood Scots accent, like an extra from Disney films like 'Greyfriars Bobby'. So the reborn Thomas Andrews appears to have not only dropped several points on the social scale but also to have crossed the Irish Sea!

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Yes, to the extent of those elements which are undisputed and easily available from other sources like Shan Bullock's 1912 biography of Andrews. Where Barnes offers extra details presented as personal recollections some are clearly nonsense and the rest cannot be proven because no surviving witnesses can back them up.