Increasing Speed on Sunday April 14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 2, 2006
I'm currently working on a novel involving the Titanic, and I was wondering...did Captain Smith actually order the ship to go to 22 knots on Sunday morning? It's mentioned in Cameron's movie, but there's a lot of inaccuracies there.

It's assumed Ismay wanted to beat the Olympic's crossing record, but I'm pretty sure Ismay didn't tell Smith how to run his ship. If they did increase speed to 22 knots, was Smith just trying to run the engines in, or was he actually influenced by Ismay?

Thanks in advance...

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
Benjamin, Captain Smith was a bit of a driver and didn't need Ismay to push him. He was actually going just a bit faster than he did on Olympic's maiden voyage. He was never near to the speed of her best effort.

I calculate that he would have beaten Olympic's first voyage time by 3 - 4 hours, given a clear go.

Some of this extra speed was due to Titanic's outer propellers being adjusted in the light of experience with Olympic. Some was just due to the ideal weather.

I've uncovered some interesting material on Ismay and his conduct when on board White Star ships.

Status
Not open for further replies.