Incredible photographs of wellpreserved wreck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 12, 1999
If you're interested in seeing some incredible photographs of a 1911 shipwreck, the Gunilda, take a look at http://www.gunilda.com. This shipwreck looks like how everyone wanted to imagine Titanic looked before she was discovered, in 1985, and her actual condition was ascertained.

Beautifully preserved rooms with wood paneling, fireplaces, stairways, etc. are shown. It's a shipwreck lover's delight. Check it out.

Gunilda was a steam yacht owned by the wealthy Harkness family, in Cleveland, Ohio. Cut by a shoal, she slowly sank in 300 feet of water in Lake Superior. The cold depths of the lake have preserved the wreck, remarkedly.

At least two men have died when diving on Gunilda. One of them, Charles "King" Hague, remained entangled in the wreck for many years. In 1978, his fully preserved body was recovered.

Recently, a fully preserved body was discovered in the wreckage of the Edmund Fitzgerald, which sank in 1975. Several have been found (and are still there) in the engine room of the Kamloops, which sank in 1927 off Isle Royale.

I've heard stores that during Great Lakes storms victims from sea disasters from long ago are sometimes washed ashore.

Mike Herbold

Dec 13, 1999
Joe:
DEJA VU !!
Last Sunday, instead of visiting the Queen Mary again, John Clifford's group had their monthly Titanic meeting down in San Diego. We visited the Maritime Museum and saw the beautiful little steam yacht "Medea." She was built in 1904 by John Stephen in western Scotland and is a dead ringer for "Gunilda." You can walk through the "Medea," feel her fine teakwood, and, every now and then, cruise around San Diego Bay in her. I don't know anything about old ships other than Titanic, but I would guess "Gunilda" was built by the same people. See www.sdmaritime.com

Dec 12, 1999
Mike,
The 197 foot Gunilda was built in Scotland, too. In Leith, I believe. Owned by Standard Oil president, William Harkness, she actually sailed to her fate from the New York Yacht club. I've seen Medea and you're right, she's a beautiful ship. The ships along the San Diego wharf are really worth visiting, especially all the exhibits (did you see the salvaged WWII Japanese "steam" torpedo?). It's amazing to look at Gunilda, which is a wreck of the same vintage as Titanic, and compare the relative conditions of each. I can recall the days before Titanic was discovered - - people used to imagine that she was this perfectly perserved ship. If you saw the movie "Raise The Titanic," you know what I mean. With Gunilda, however, that fantasy is next to realized. Her staterooms, with the fireplaces, piano, furniture and desks - all still there, almost as they were in 1911. To me, looking at her recollects the mysterious wonder I used to have of what Titanic would be like when found.

Take care.

Status
Not open for further replies.