Information on the anticipation

Jenna Pitt

Apr 4, 2007
Hi, I am doing a university assignment on the risk anticipation of the Titanic disaster. If any of you have any information regarding anticipation or know where i may find information, your help would be much obliged.
Regards
Jen

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
It might help if you offered some idea of what risk anticipation is in the context of your assignment. If you're wondering what it was that the designers of the Olympic class liners were expecting, that much is easy enough to work out and you can refer to the Shipbuilder Specials for information on what was expected and how they built the ships to deal with it.

The biggies, then as now, were the possibilities of grounding or collisions with other ships, hence the reasoning behind double bottoms and watertight sectioning so that the effects of any damage from such could be contained. Then there was the ever present threat of fire, hence the reasoning behind fire detection and firefighting equipment.

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
If you mean what I think you mean, the answer is three-quarters of one percent.

That's the premium charged on ocean liners before the disaster. Premiums naturally rose afterwards.

All big liners were considered good risks, hence the low premiums. Before Titanic, none of the big British liners had been lost. Republic and Slavonia were lost in 1909, but they were relatively small. Nobody imagined that the really big ones would be lost.

There's an article about this in The Times for 24 April 1912. It describes the current attitudes and explains how the loss was spread over many companies, so that none suffered a very great loss.