Inger Sheil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inger Sheil

Feb 9, 1999
At 26 years of age, I don't really have an excuse for making this the long entry it is ;-)

I was born in London, England while my father was on a diplomatic posting at the Australian Consulate in Austria. My family is 6th generation Australian and of predominantly Irish ancestry on both sides, although my Christian name is a nod to a Swedish Great-grandfather, a crewman who was crimped in San Francisco. He woke up aboard a ship heading for Australia and, as his aim had always been to get to a gold rush and any gold rush would do, he made the best of it.

My family had several postings overseas through my childhood, in Vienna, New York and Singapore. In between we lived in the family home, build on a headland overlooking the point north of Sydney where the Tasman Sea meets the Pacific. Like virtually every other child who grew up on our peninsula, the sea became part of an ever-present, thoroughly enjoyed environment - and it in part engendered my interest in the ocean and indirectly the Titanic.

I attended Sydney University, where my subjects included English Literature, History and Government. Before graduating I worked part-time accepting commissions on artwork, and in desktop publishing and also for an economics magazine. I also did a bit of work for a free-lance editor and published a few articles in periodicals. I was recruited out of my post-graduate studies to work as a policy adviser to a State Government Minister (duties included research, speech writing, Cabinet documents, briefing papers, ministerial messages etc). After four years and following a general election, I decided to base myself temporarily overseas in order to pursue research angles for a biography of Harold Lowe.

Originally I intended to be in the UK only for the period of a working visa, but having discovered I've become inordinately fond of these isles, I was delighted to find that my birth here made me a British Citizen (for which I recently received official recognition). I am now planning to live here indefinitely, and am working in Project Management.

My interest in Titanic - which goes back to early childhood, and for no single identifiable cause - is centred around her crew and in particular her navigating officers. I'm also interested in WSL officers in general, and have recently started researching the men who served on the Olympic and Oceanic. I've found London to be ideally suited to pursuing these interests as it provides easy access to several major archives (such as the PRO, FRC,Greenwich and the Guildhall), and ready transportation to any place in the UK I need to get to in order to follow up leads.

Other interests include marine conservation, scuba diving, the British mercantile marine, horseriding (dressage), historical periods and individuals such as the Tudors and Anne Boleyn, Michael Collins, Edward Kelly and John Gilbert, art (particularly Rossetti and the pre-Raphaelites), and literature (the Brontes and Housman).

And the obligatory Texas connection...Cookie already knows this, but my parents first met while both were Aussie ex-pats working in Houston :)

Pat Cook

Apr 26, 2000
All roads lead to Texas! Salute!

Inger has only scratched the surface in her bio. She is one amazing researcher and, if possible, an even better friend.

Warmest and best regards,
Cook

Mar 20, 2000
Inger,

I've been waiting eagerly to read your bio & you haven't let me down! I also knew we'd be competing for the "most verbose" posts. I think I beat you!

So glad you're here; you're a valued participant in the discussions. Good luck in your fascinating work!

Randy

E

Elaine Barnes

Only 29! God, I feel ancient at 39, and you've done so much already. Good luck with your research and keep those posts coming, I've enjoyed them and learned so much.
Sincerely,
Elaine

E

Elaine Barnes

Ooops, sorry, I added a couple of years to your age (see how jealous I am).
Regards,
Elaine

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Don't worry Elaine, Inger will draw and quarter you later. ;-)

Inger, it seems you've done more at 26 then a lot of people have who are three times your age. You have a breadth of knowladge I can only envy...and I am looking forward to your book when it comes out.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Mar 18, 2000
Only 39?

(buncha damn kids, grumble, grumble!)

Bill W. - older than most here, methinks - but not as old as a few!

Sep 12, 2000
Ing,
Just wanted you to know that I responded to your posting under Bill DeSena and wrote about the idea for my book there.

Thanks for your kind words. My daughter Katie and I have a great relationship and I respect her so much. She is 26, like you.

I really trully respect you a lot Ing and thought that I may have hurt some folks that I would never ever hurt in a million years and I didn't want to do that again. Thanks for your posting.
Maureen.

Inger Sheil

Feb 9, 1999
Maureen -

Many thanks for the kind words (and those of others here that I realise now I never acknowledged).

After some of the vitriol that's been tossed around in Titanic circles (from which few - myself not included - have ever emerged unscathed...I think Cook is the only one who has ever managed it), I can't imagine anything you've said being misconstrued. I've certainly never attribted anything hurtful to your posts :)

I don't tiptoe around issues - if someone has offended me, I'll charge in the vigour and subtlety of a wounded bull and will let them know up-front...and hopefully clear the air. I don't play the games that others indulge in, so you're guaranteed to always know where I'm coming from.

Regards,

Ing

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Oops! I meant to say that I look forward to your book when it comes out. Excuse me Inger, I was quite tired when I was typing that message to you last night.

Best regards,

Jason D. Tiller

Inger Sheil

Feb 9, 1999
Jason, the message came across very clearly and I thank you for it :)

I've been refraining from my usual epic posts of late because I've been attempting to show some unaccustomed self-discipline in working on the manuscript. Lowe's WWI career, flowing into the RN involvement in the Russian Civil War following the Revolution, is rather complex. There have been moments when I felt that the War was winning ;-)

Have enjoyed reading your posts, btw, and look forward to more interaction with you on the board.

Ing

Paul Rogers

Jun 1, 2000
West Sussex, UK
Inger,

Happy 27th Birthday for Tuesday. I hope you had a good one!

Please stay with us on the Message Board - it wouldn't be the same without you, and I know we'd all miss you dreadfully.

Take care,

Paul.

Inger Sheil

Feb 9, 1999
Paul -

Thank you very much :) It was a splendid b'day, although the Chicken Korma Curry with Peshwari Naan was perhaps not the best choice to go with a stomach still queasy with flu-ish symptoms. Well, either that or the double rum and cokes were a mistake.

Am back, needless to say. Was reluctant to go in the first place, and have no intention of being being precious or prima donnaish about it :)

Thanks to those who emailed me to update me of the situation...now I've got to go and restore bookmarks etc :)

Best to all -

Ing

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Uhhhh...did I miss something here? Taking off and now you're back? Well, I hope you're always around...fiesty spirit and all. :)

A belated happy birthday by the way...although you might want to be careful about the cuisine if you want to make 28.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

K

Kara Michele Kloss

Inger,

After I wrote my message on my introduction site, I logged onto yours. May I say...WOW! You have really made a lot out of yourself at such a young age. I am envious of those of you who had drive when you were young....it took me until I was your age to get a focus. I look forward to your book. It sounds like it will be a great one.

What I really enjoy is how positive everyone is about you. You must have many positive qualities as a person to have so many speak so highly of you. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!!

Kara Michele

A

Andrew Rogers

G'day Inger,
It might not be of much help to you or you may already know, but Harold Lowe's grandson lives in Perth.
If my source is correct, it seems his (HGL's) son died a few years ago (in Perth) and now his grandson still resides there.
I tried to get a name but didn't get much co-operation.
If you like, I can try and find out more for you.

Andrew Rogers.

Sydney

Inger Sheil

Feb 9, 1999
Kara - Many thanks for your kind message :). I'm looking forward to your contributions to the ET messageboard.

Andrew - Thank you for the offer :) I was in contact with Harold Jnr up until his death last year, and travelled through Wales last year on a research trip with his Australian grandson and daughter-in-law. The Lowe family have been absolutely superb - Harold Jnr was kind enough to provide us with introductions to other members of the family, and was one of the staunchest supporters of our work. He was endlessly patient with our many queries, providing detailed and specific answers. The interest in and support of our work has continued with his own son, who has proved to have a critical, keen interpretative eye. Other branches of the family have proved to be equally helpful (although there are still some that I need to get in contact with - the Lowes are now as far afield as New Zealand, South Africa, Australia etc., and I'd always be happy to hear from more of them).

So where in Sydney are you from? My family home is up on the Northern Beaches.
Regards,

Inger

A

Andrew Rogers

Northern Beaches!!
We're smack bang in the middle of it.
I live in Harbord. Just 5 mins walk from beautiful Freshie Beach.
Where were you?

Maybe HGL's son who died is the same one who you have spoken about.
I just thought of something that makes the Perth contact a little incredible; If the guy in Perth is the son of Harold's son (grandson) then his name should be Lowe, the name I was given was not Lowe!
Maybe the point of contact is less reliable than I first thought!
Anyway, I'll see what I can chase up.

Bye for now,
Andrew.

Ps. Last night my wife and I went on a rare night out and saw "The Dish". What a cracker of a movie, a must for an Aussie ex-pat I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.