1. Welcome to Encyclopedia Titanica
    or subscribe for unlimited access to ET! You can also login with , or !
    Dismiss Notice

Injuries During the Evacuation

Discussion in 'On the Night of the 14th April' started by Kas01, Oct 15, 2018.

1. Kas01

Kas01 Member

What would have been the most likely cause of injuries for survivors during the evacuation or the rescue process?

Tags:
  2. Frostbite and hypothermia...unless your this guy in the clip.

3. Kas01

Kas01 Member

I was thinking more upper-body strains would have been likely. But RIP Propeller Guy.

4. Aaron_2016

Aaron_2016 Member

Some of the lifeboats were lowered down too far and this meant the passengers would mistep and fall into the lifeboats in the dark and possibly hurt themselves. e.g.

Mr. Ward
    "One woman had already fallen and hurt herself a little, a French lady....From the rail of the boat it is quite a step down to the bottom of the boat, and in the dark they could not see where they were stepping."

When the lifeboats were lowered down some of the passengers jumped from a great height and landed on the people in the lifeboats e.g.

Mr. Hanna
    "I was afraid, I didn't know what to do. I prayed to the Lord and decided to take a chance. I jumped 30 feet in the direction of the lifeboat, which was filled with 30 women and children.....I landed on the head of a woman in the boat."

A number of people suffered serious frost bite and I recall one man needed to have both of his legs amputated. A number of survivors also suffered from the terrible psychological effects of witnessing the disaster and this may have attributed to their deaths later on as a number of them had committed suicide. Edith Rosenbaum had survived a terrible car crash a year before the Titanic sank and she said the memory of that horrible crash came into her mind when she witnessed the Titanic sank. I think it is a form of mental shock which enables the mind to remember past events in great detail and clarity. I wonder if the Titanic survivors who were in the First World War were reminded of the Titanic sinking by the horrors they were witnessing in the trenches and on the troop transport ships. Imagine living in the first half of the 20th century. From peacetime to wartime. From the roaring twenties to the great depression of the 1930's. From the blitz of the second war to the advent of rock n' roll and Elvis in the 1950's. It certainly was a changing world and no surprise that people back then liked to keep a diary.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  5. Harland Duzen

Harland Duzen Member

I heard of several people hurting, spraining themselves or tripping over when entering the lifeboats.

Also a more grisly injury I heard of is people breaking their necks when jumping from high heights into the water since the cork in the lifejackets would't plunge under the water with the wearer and cause whiplash.

6. coal eater

coal eater Member

what about trapped engineer in propeller shaft tunnels,what about stoker that lost all fingers on his hand