Inside the Lusitania

Lindsay Hymas

Nov 3, 2005
Hello everyone! I am a new member. A nineteen year old interested in Lusitania. I've been trying to find a book with information on the Lusitania's interior design (especially first class). It would be extremely helpful if it had more pictures of the ship; I would really like to see a photo of the elevators on the ship. I've been looking at buying Mark Warren's
Lusitania : the Cunard turbine-driven quadruple-screw Atlantic liner, constructed and engined by Messrs. John Brown and Co., Ltd., Sheffield and Clydebank. Is that a good choice, or is there somewhere else I should look? Please help. ;)
Lindsay

Mike Poirier

Dec 31, 2004
Hi Lindsay
Not only is it a good choice, it is the best choice. It was the first time most of those pictures were reprinted and it offers alternative views of rooms that generally are repeated in others. Also a great model of what the Lusy would have looked with 3 funnels.
In terms of interiors, I can't think of any book that attempts to come close to this book.
Mike

Lindsay Hymas

Nov 3, 2005
Michael,
Thank you for the advice. Do you have any idea where I could buy this book? I've looked at Amazon and Barnes and Noble and its out of stock.

Thanks again!
Lindsay

Mike Poirier

Dec 31, 2004
Hi Lindsay
You can find it at
www.bookfinder.com
It is hard cover and runs about 125 pages. It is a very tall book, I'd say over 1 ft long, so I hope you have a large book shelf. The big advantage being that the pictures are large and crisp. Alot of alternative views you won't find elsewhere.

The other book mentioned can also be found at 'bookfinder' too. It is a magazine format, average size, and is about 40-50 odd pages.

Mike

Lindsay Hymas

Nov 3, 2005
Hello!
I just wanted to give a big thank you to every one who helped me decide on what book to purchase. I bought Eric Sauder's newest book and Warren's Lusitania. While I haven't received Eric Sauder's book yet, I have received Warren's book, and I love it! It is so informative with so many images that I have never seen before! Thanks for helping me decide to buy it.

Lindsay

May 3, 2002
Wellington, New Zealand
Hi Lindsay and welcome to ET
I'm glad you got the copy of Warren as it is rare as ....I almost wrote hen's teeth but I think you'll get the meaning. I have seen it valued quite highly on Amazon.

Lusitania-Triumph of the Edwardian age is a must as is the book just published by Tempus.
One of our moderators Michael Standart is telling us to "Run not walk" to our nearest book sellers and get a copy. You'll find out about that in the thread next door to this one.

happy hunting

Martin

Mike Poirier

Dec 31, 2004
Hi Lindsay
May I also suggest that you contact the University of Glasglow, who, as far as I know have the largest collection of interior photos of the Lusitania. I know many have ended up in books. They charge a small fee to copy and they are excellent quality. If you email them, they will send a you a description and price.
Good luck!
Mike