Inside the ship

sally1976

Do any of you think it will ever be possible to go deep inside the ship ? It eats away at me knowing only parts of the ship have been explored.I understand that there is always the impossible in situations like this but surely technology could come up with something ?? or is this just my wishful thinking ... If only we cud drain the ocean that would be ideal lol x

It's been attempted. James Cameron has done the most extensive internal survey of the ship of anybody out there and he did it almost ten years ago. Unfortunately, the ongoing rate of decay means that if any further attempts are to be made, they need to made quickly or it won't be possible at all.

Reactions: 1 user

sally1976

It seems that this is the only main thing that hasnt been done on titanic as of yet.. I'm very suprised... who doesnt want to be the first to delve into parts previously not reached.Agree 100% michael it seems a shame that if not done soon it may be too late .. I suppose having money for the technology needed plays a big part x

Adam Went

James Cameron almost lost one of his robots in exploring the interior of the wreck - it is a dangerous place and there's debris everywhere. He made some remarkable discoveries but unfortunately a lot of the areas - especially the stern area - simply aren't accessible even to the smallest and most nimble of robots.

However, as Michael said, if there is more exploring which can be done then now is the time to do it, while there is still something to see.

Cheers,
Adam.

titan

I think the wreck should be left undisturbed, what good would going inside do. it has already been damaged so much by salvagers and keen explorers. when Robert Ballard discovered it he left it there and didn't take anything instead he left a plaque. others have taken so much for profit and damaged what is a gravesite. it seems people forget so easily that 1500 people died with the titanic. would you think it right if someone chipped a piece from the destroyed dome at Hiroshima and sold it, of coarse not.

IanMcD

Do any of you think it will ever be possible to go deep inside the ship ? It eats away at me knowing only parts of the ship have been explored.I understand that there is always the impossible in situations like this but surely technology could come up with something ?? or is this just my wishful thinking ... If only we cud drain the ocean that would be ideal lol x

I wonder what the smallest ROV has been used so far to explore the Titanic. There are micro ROV'S that you could hold with one hand. But I don't know if they are able with withstand the depth at with the Titanic is at. I imagine not. The big problem seems to be the cable attached to these craft. There's always the risk of it getting snagged on something. A small ROV that didn't require it being attached to a cable would be able to more deeply penetrate the wreck

Rusty_S

I am still of the view that exploration needs to be done.

Always had this view and always will. There is zero reason to let her rot away to nothing without learning what we can from her. Now with this said that doesn't mean go taking everything you can. No the only thing that should be taken is photographs. Anything left in the wreck that survived should only be taken after the wreck has rotted away which will not happen in our life times.