Inside The Titanic...

tory_1998

Apr 16, 2012
I understand that with the centenial episode that aired yesterday here in the U.S. they explained that when the ship did sink and break in two, they collected up speed and slammed into the ocean floor. But here's my thing. With all these new experiments and advances in robotics and cameras, how come we haven't seen any pictures or photos of going inside the wreck of titanic? I understand completely that the ship is pretty much "smashed" into the ocean floor and there are a lot of things that cables/ropes/etc could tangle up on....but I am obsessed with knowing what's inside.

Is there really a safe in one of the rooms (comparable to the movie)? Are there famous paintings that are just lodged into the mud of the ocean floor that no one has seen in a hundred years?

Please respond with your thoughts :)

Mar 16, 2012
Amston, CT, USA
Actually, there have been many videos and photos taken inside the Titanic (the bow section -- the stern is too smashed up) over the years, particularly from James Cameron's expeditions. No famous paintings, though.

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
I understand that with the centenial episode that aired yesterday here in the U.S. they explained that when the ship did sink and break in two, they collected up speed and slammed into the ocean floor. But here's my thing. With all these new experiments and advances in robotics and cameras, how come we haven't seen any pictures or photos of going inside the wreck of titanic? I understand completely that the ship is pretty much "smashed" into the ocean floor and there are a lot of things that cables/ropes/etc could tangle up on....but I am obsessed with knowing what's inside.
I guess that you missed that stuff. Since the discovery of the wreck ROV had been driven inside. The first one was Dr. Ballard in 1986 who send it a few feet into the grand staircase. The following RMS Titanic Inc. expeditions went inside into several areas of the bow and stern. And then we have James Cameron who send his ROVs much deeper than anybody else.
You can see them for example in; Deep inside Titanic (DVD Discovery Channel); Ghosts of the Abyss (DVD & Book); Last Mysteries of the the Titanic (DVD Discovery Channel) to mention only a few.

tory_1998

Apr 16, 2012
I guess I should clarify (but thank you both for correcting me). Of all the historical books on the titanic they say that they directed people away from the Purser's office towards the deck to get on the life boats. Most people were more worried about their valuables at the time I guess. In all those expeditions, was anyone able to get to the office and see what valuables were there? That would be a piece of history I would like to see.

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
I guess I should clarify (but thank you both for correcting me). Of all the historical books on the titanic they say that they directed people away from the Purser's office towards the deck to get on the life boats. Most people were more worried about their valuables at the time I guess. In all those expeditions, was anyone able to get to the office and see what valuables were there? That would be a piece of history I would like to see.
The short answer is no. The area of the Purser's office on C Deck is in not good condition. However, RMS Titanic Inc. send an ROV into that area as it did James Cameron during his last expedition (Last Mysteries of the Titanic) were he locate what looked to be the "big" save. Of course it was closed.