Insurance coverage

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mike disch

After disaster, survivors filed claims for lost personal property, and were paid token amounts. Question: Were these payments made out-of-pocket by White Star/H&W, or by their insurance carrier(s)? And who, Lloyd's?

Sep 8, 2000
Bob:

Thanks for the link! It mentions INA (now part of Cigna) as an American insurance company that had coverage on Titanic and another company (not named) which was Atlantic Mutual. I have met the marine underwriter at Atlantic Mutual and received permission to look at their books from 1912 (which they have on display in a private room). I hope to spend some time soon reviewing their coverage and loss amounts.

Rosanne MacIntyre

Tony Sheils

Jan 6, 2001
Bob

A very interesting read on an aspect that seems not to be much covered elsewhere. Thanks for posting the link which most of us would otherwise be unaware.

Tony

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
In the vaults of the Bank of England archive, there is a large bundle of claims made by survivors for lost money. I didn't have time to go through the whole bundle, but it seems that people had to provide serial numbers. The largest claim as far as I can see, was for £350. Presumably the claimant was reimbursed.
Upon opening the package, a familiar name presented itself: Lawrence Beesley, who made a claim for 4 £5 notes, on 14th February 1913.

Best wishes

Paul

D

Deleted member 173198

The many pages of the Relief Fund Book's at Southampton contain an interesting entry. There's many claimants (names are not mentioned) who are still waiting to receive their outstanding payments. The figure of those claims carried on building up way after the First World War.

In the end, they (who ever the big-wigs were) decided to lash out in one big hit, and use the Compassionate Fund to settle all those remaining payments. No figures or names are given as a lot of this paperwork was destroyed during the big clear out in the mid-sixties.

Another piece of unknown information.

A.W.

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
There are some files at the Bank of England on the relief fund but I didn't have time to peruse them.

One of them is E8/288, in the Bank's magazine, "The Old Lady", from June 1992 - Governer Cunliffe's involvement in the relief fund for the disaster.

Paul

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
btw, I thought that all the Soton relief fund records were in existence, with the exception of the first book (according to Soton city council at this year's 95th anniversary events)

Paul

D

Deleted member 173198

Very little survives, only what you see with the various Minute Books with the old Mansion House directives at Southampton, are of those that did survive the dustbin fire of either 1963 or 1964.

I hope the above answers some of your questions Paul.

A.W.

Status
Not open for further replies.