Interesting Article

Paul Rogers

Nov 30, 2000
West Sussex, UK
Tamela: You're not wrong about the glaring inaccuracies! A quote from the article:
quote:

"Did you know that the designer, J. Bruce Ismay, went down with the Titanic?" Burch asked. "I read an account that when the ship went down, Ismay was seen by the fireplace with his hand on his head as if pondering why it was happening."
There's even a bit about Rigel the dog, whose barking alerted Carpathia in time to avoid them hitting a lifeboat full of passengers.

Oh dear.​

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
It's like last-minute bidding on Ebay, Paul - I just lurk and wait until you're ready to go, then hit the button! :). But let's give the man credit - he didn't mention the mummy. Unless it figured in "I've taught my 3-year old the name of the ship and how it sank".

But most important - Hallo Tamela, and welcome to the forum.

Paul Rogers

Nov 30, 2000
West Sussex, UK
Indeed. Welcome aboard, Tamela.

Ah ha! So it was you, Bob, who was competing with me in that Titanic food auction on eBay the other day. From the article:

"A display of dishes with no chips caught his eye."

I particularly liked the look of the Sirloin of Beef with Chateau Potatoes. I guess it was you who went for the Sauté of Chicken Lyonnaise with Boiled Rice. Personally, I would have preferred them both with chips, but there you go...

I'll get my coat.

Jo Durant

Apr 15, 2005
quote:

There's even a bit about Rigel the dog, whose barking alerted Carpathia in time to avoid them hitting a lifeboat full of passengers.

Paul I actually thought you were joking until I read the article again.

Welcome Tamela.​

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Rigel the wonder mutt I can believe, Paul. But dishes without chips? I've been round the block a few times, and I've never come across anything like that. Pull the other one!
:)

Jul 12, 2003
It was an entertaining article. I bet if this guy believes that Ismay went down with the ship, we can convince him that the mummy was a first class passenger who manned a lifeboat.

I like the part about Rigel the Wonder Dog....it's like having Lassie on board.

From reading the article, it sounds like he was telling Titanic stories while on the exhibit. If his stories were anything like the Ismay story, then some people are walking away with many an inaccurate account.

I shouldn't make jokes I guess. I am not an expert on the Titanic by any means.

Dec 31, 2003
Hampstead, London
My bet is on our young Baltimore 'buff' having read every one of his "40 'Titanic' books"; but becoming the innocent victim of local Miss Quote's own overly-enthusiastic "wow!"-"wonderful!" style of junior journalism.