Interesting how quick "post disaster activism" ends

Aristide

Feb 10, 2019
Aix-en-Provence
Costa Concordia sunk in 2012

my parents and i had a ticket for two 1st class suite of the maiden voyage of Costa Fascinosa in May 2012. I was 15 years then so i had my own suite.

When we boarded teh ship we went to our suites and shortly after the life boat drill started, even before anything else. Stewards came to each cabin. You took your lifevest and had to go to your life boat on the boat deck. There they took things very seriously. They explained evrything in Italian, French, German, English. So it took almost an hour. It was pretty boring for a 15 year old.

There was no big naming ceremony for the Fascinosa and it looked like they wanted keep it low profile,

Then in 2015 my mother booked another cruise. This time on Costa Diadema. Again it was her maiden voyage and we had two suits. One for me and my girlfriend and one for my parents. We boarded in Genoa and there was much more fancy pomp. They planned a huge naming ceremony and evrything and since we had VIP tickets we were expected to wear business suits and so on. Since there was not much time for anything basicly after boarding you went to your suite, then put your life vest on and walked to the theatre and watched a video and thats it. Then went back to suits, dressed up and the ceremony started.

I found it quite amusing how quick that activism after the desaster changed.

I assume same counts for regulations after Titanic?

Nov 14, 2005
"I found it quite amusing how quick that activism after the desaster changed.
I assume same counts for regulations after Titanic'?

Quite understanable. People move on and get concerned with other things. Today that seems even more accelerated with todays news cycle. But even though the people move on the changes stay on. After Titanic...more lifeboats, the ice patrol, communication monitered 24 hours day...ect ect. Those changes are still in effect.