Interesting link

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
I'd love to know what it is this bloke is smoking. Especially if he thinks some compressed gas and £18-£24 million is enough to even begin talking about a job like this, much less actually getting it done.

Steve Olguin

Mar 31, 2005
This guy must be smoking dope or something.

I think we'll get the same outcome if we just throw a bunch of explosives on the wreck and blow the hull to shreads... and it will probably be less costly....

James Smith

Dec 5, 2001
From the article:

"There is a lot of interest out in the Far East - they seem to be very keen on the idea for some reason."

I guess it wouldn't have anything to do with Byzanium . . .

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>I guess it wouldn't have anything to do with Byzanium . . .<<

More like wishful thinking on the part of these claimed (And notably unnamed investors), and that's assuming they're not a figment of this bloke's imagination. The claim that the hull is as sound as the day she went down has got to be one of the most incredible pieces of sheer ignorance that I've read in awhile, and on some of the forums I frequent, I've seen some whoppers!

May 1, 2010
It may be amusing to observe these boneheads in action. (I am a fan of the 3 stooges!) There would be some entertainment value there, assuming that they could sell their bonehead idea to some investors. Problem is, there aren't too many people that have made a lot of money that are that STUPID!! Besides, we wouldn't want to see our beloved Titanic desecrated in this fashion.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Problem is, there aren't too many people that have made a lot of money that are that STUPID!!<<

And they tend not to keep it very long if they are. The smart ones keep their fortunes and even make them grow by checking things out befor taking a chance.

Nov 26, 2005
Sounds like this guy needs to put down his crack pipe, take Raise the Titanic out of the VCR, and pop in a tape of the actual wreck footage.

Sheesh.

Cute read for entertainment sake though! Thanks!

A

Adam Lang

Even if the gas would work to raise the ship up, wouldn't the structural damage and corrosion tear the ship apart anyway?

-Adam Lang

Callum Duff

Jun 9, 2008
The Marine Salvors Seawise are connected to Douglas Woolley the 'supposed' owner of Titanic (!!) i've read his website and the man is clearly a couple of sandwiches short of a picnic! He also intends to raise the wreck of Queen Elizabeth from Hong Kong harbour which would be a pretty incredible feat, considering the wreck was removed and used as landfill in the mid 1970's! Way to go DW!

Apr 3, 2005
The ONLY way to even consider getting the Titanic off the bottom would be to dismantle her and bring it up piece by piece imho, and even that would be difficult if not impossible with todays technology.
Not to mention expensive beyond imagining. The only benefit from that would be the technology itself that would have to be created to do it.
That said, Titanic will be still sitting where she lies a 100 years from now. (Or whats left of her that is)

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
I wouldn't worry about Mr. Woolley one way or another. It's one thing to assert ownership and quite another to actually prove it in a way that would convince an admiralty court rather then having Hizzonor the Judge laughing for an hour.

Mar 7, 2006
>>considering the wreck was removed and used as landfill in the mid 1970's!<<

The trouble with the Internet is things get repeated until they are quoted as fact.

Some time ago, May 2006, I emailed the Boatyard and Marine Operations Manager at Royal Hong Kong Yacht Club regarding the fate of this ship - this is his reply - I have pasted it in exactly as sent to me:-

Please see the following links for further information on the fate of the
Seawise University. Hopefully this will answer your questions.

A) Topsides cut aweay - lower portion of hull remains in the mud
B) Location in South part of Rambler Channel - S.E. of Tsing Yee Island

http://ocean-liners.schuminweb.com/ships/queen-elizabeth.asp

Also - from a HK Govt. publication

http://www.cedd.gov.hk/eng/publications/sheet/doc/g3_chapter_7.pdf

Modification of the Sea Bed

The seabedi n the district has beenc onsiderablym odified by man. Southwesot
f Tsing Vi, sandb as been
dredged as fill for reclamation; the dredged area is shown on the map sheet.
The sand, which is alluvial
and part of the Chek Lap Kok Formation, occurs in a positive bathymetric
feature lateral to the channel
running down the west coast of Tsing Vi. This channel forms part of the
submarine channel system linking
UrmstonR oad,B rothersa nd Ma Wan channelsto the north with the Easta nd
West Larnrnac hannels
to the south. The sedimenits describeda sa poorly sortedf ine to coarseq
uartzo-feldspathics and.
In the southernp art of the RamblerC hannelt,h e naturals eabedis coveredw
ith anthropogenicm ud comprising
an admixture of natural silt and effluent. The high organic content of the
mud causes acoustic
blanking of a spectaculanr ature. Otherd ebrish as been dumped in the
channel,e speciallyi n the southern
part. Boreholesh avep enetratedb uilding rubble and rubbert yres. The
largests ingle item is the remnants
of the liner the QueenE lizabeth( SeawiseU niversity),which sank to the
southeast of Tsing Yi in January
1972. The top portion was cut away but much of the hull remains buried in
the mud.

Callum Duff

Jun 9, 2008
Aye, fair enough. It's still pretty unsalvageable whichever way you look at it. Considering the initial fire damage and the subsequent deterioration of being on the seabed for the 35 years, I can't see the point of raising it other than selling it off as tacky ships souvenirs.