Irish Titanic Historical Society

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Okay, call this a shameless plug but I think this group is worth it. I recieved a sample of The White Star Journal courtesy of Senan Malony and I'm impressed with what I saw. In Volumn 11 No. 1 were a wide veriaty of articles ranging from reprints of obscure newspaper articles to contemporary material.

The first article was about the legend of Frank Towers and how this how thing got started, as well as two seperate articles on J. Bruce Ismay in his later post-Titanic years. I particularly liked the articles on Sydney Buxton who managed to survive the lifeboat issue even though at the stroke of a pen, he could have made lifeboats for all mandatory, and Horatio Bottomly, the campeigner for lifeboats who's career came to an ignoble end whwn he went to prison for embezzlement.

There was also a section on technical Titanic written by Bruce Beveridge which dealt with, among other things, the weight of the anchors. For those with an interest in Titanic and who want to get in with Titanic societies, this has something for everyone.

Anyone interrsted should check out their website which is at http://www.iol.ie/~noelray/iths/index.html

You'll also find information on joining here. I didn't even hesitate to add ITHS to the list of societies I belong to.

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Absolutely concur - the WSJ, under Sen's extraordinarily capable editorial direction, is an excellent quality production. It has a track record of turning up new and innovative research and quality, well written articles. Highly recommended.

Jul 23, 2008
The Irish Titanic Society is also very prompt with replies to letters. This alone puts them in my good books!

Keep up the good work over there in Eire!

Mar 22, 2006
Hi Michael
I promise to avoid caps in future the message was sent while on night duty.I promise to be more alert in future.
Chantal (not el)

Izzy. Fitz

Sep 28, 2020
Hi there everyone I am trying to find more details on The Irish Titanic Historical Society and members if any? The website link provided by Chantal does not seem to work? When I search google I only get information about the American/International Society and the Belfast one. I believe the Irish one to be still in existence, Or did it perhaps become amalgamated to the Belfast Society?

Reactions: 1 user

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
Hi Izzy. It seems links from earlier than 2008 do not work. Even sometimes 2008 links are broken. Have you looked for their phone number/email, or possibly their P.O Box, so you can mail a letter?

Nov 14, 2005
Hi there everyone I am trying to find more details on The Irish Titanic Historical Society and members if any? The website link provided by Chantal does not seem to work? When I search google I only get information about the American/International Society and the Belfast one. I believe the Irish one to be still in existence, Or did it perhaps become amalgamated to the Belfast Society?
If its the same group it seems they jumped the shark and went on FB. You can check out the link to see if its the same group. Cheers.
P.S...I came back to edit this to say if you look at the dates of posts it seems its been inactive for a long time. My bad. Should have look closer.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
Is the Physical Titanic Historical Society still around? like, after the coronavirus goes away, meets and conventions will still happen? I want to go to one someday.